Super Contributor

Are Appliance Extended Warranties Worth it?

I never got one before , but due to appliances not lasting very long, got one for my washer in 2018. Have used it once, had to wait almost a week for repairman , and there was no charge.  Now it  broke again, took two days to get in touch with company, and now have to wait 8 days for repairman. Hopefully he will have part, as last time he had to send away for it , and had to wait several more days to have it fixed.  Now it will be at least 9 days without a washer and I  have to go to laundromat every two days. Is this the norm? What washing machines have you had good luck with, and how long have you had to wait for repairs under these extended warranties. Thank you for any advice, and sharing your experience with these warranties. I will certainly not be buying that brand again, and will contact store and let them know why I won't be purchasing from them ever again. Not that they will care.... Susi.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are Appliance Extended Warranties Worth it?

[ Edited ]

We have never gotten an extended warranty and, knock on wood, have never had to have an applicance repaired in the 40+ years we've been married.  GE and Whirlpool are the brands we have been happy with.  IMO those warranties have a lot of loopholes.

What was the brand you're having so much trouble with??

Respected Contributor

I don't  buy extended warranties on appliances.  The few times I did get them I never needed to use them.  I take my chances. Those service contracts may not cover everything.

If you call you own repair service you will get faster service.  You still may have to deal with ordering parts.  It is a colossal pain when an appliance fails.  Hang in there.

Honored Contributor

Never buy them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't buy the extended warranty on household appliances.

I have a very basic Hotpoint washer - it cost $299 in 2016 and it is going strong.  I put king sized comforters in it, even.  I do hover nearby when the spin cycle begins just in case something gets off balance when I'm doing large items, but it's been great.  Center agitator, manual controls.

I don't think there's even a laundromat in my area anymore.  There is a reliable GE service route, though, in case I need it.  (Hotpoint is made by GE).

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

hey Re: Are Appliance Extended Warranties Worth it?

@Susic Whirpool....are they even made anymore...mine, still working is over 20 years old.  Of course there were only two people in the house when I first got it; and only one person since 1987 so it doesn't get a heavy workout.  Please I hope my reply does not jinx my washer.  Recently I had to replace a furnace, water heater and garbage disposal.

Super Contributor

I doubt I will get another one in future, if it takes over a week to have a repair even started. Imagine if it was a refrigerator. I have had every major brand of washer in last 2 decades, I don't think any have lasted 4 years. Repairs cost so much, we just bought new ones. I used to wish  I had gotten warranty, not realizing how long it would take for repair. Still wondering if this is the normal wait time.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I don't buy the extended warranty on household appliances.

I have a very basic Hotpoint washer - it cost $299 in 2016 and it is going strong.  I put king sized comforters in it, even.  I do hover nearby when the spin cycle begins just in case something gets off balance when I'm doing large items, but it's been great.  Center agitator, manual controls.

I don't think there's even a laundromat in my area anymore.  There is a reliable GE service route, though, in case I need it.  (Hotpoint is made by GE).

I love my basic Hotpoint washer from 2013 !!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Nope. Why would a company offer extended warranties if they weren't making a ton of money on them?

They drag their feet on repairs and hope you go away. 

Honored Contributor

The only appliances I buy an extended warranty for is a dishwasher and refrigerator.  It never has gone to waste.  Those two appliances need replacement parts and service way too often.    

I think they are designed to need replacement every few years.  Years ago, they lasted forever.  I still have an avacodo refrigerator in my basement that works and has been used everyday since 1973. It has never been repaired.