Contributor

Approximate reupholster charge?

I can’t decide whether to have my glider and ottoman reupholstered or just buy new. 

Any idea what upholstering costs?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Approximate reupholster charge?

@Grammyto3 , I wanted to redo a sofa and love seat.  The cost far exceeded the cost of a new set.  The upholsterer said if it was a really good name it was worth it.  It was a good name, hardwood frame, excellent cushioning, I just didn't like the color.  I passed as I didn't like the style of the sofa enough to pay that much.

For me, it would depend on how much I loved the piece.  LM

Respected Contributor

There is no simple answer, because, for starters, fabric costs vary dramatically, depending on what you choose. A high-quality furniture piece is worth reupholstering, but don’t waste your money on a cheaper chair or sofa. We had an excellent loveseat with down-filled cushions reupholstered. Years ago, we bought the high-quality two-seater for around  $2000, and the reupholster cost around $1800. I am not sure what a “glider” is. 

Honored Contributor

When I think of a "glider" I imagine an outdoor piece but I'm assuming that this is an indoor piece.  As others have mentioned, upholstery can be very expensive...often more so than just buying new.

A little off topic....Many years ago we purchased a Dane Decor leather chair & ottoman.  It was expensive but we got many years use out of it and ended up buying a new one. 

Right about the time we bought the new one we gave DS the old one to bring to college.  Once he and his roommates moved on he gave the old leather chair to one of them.  My son's friend reupholstered the chair himself in leather (I had no idea he knew how to do this!!) and the chair looks like new!...DS showed me a photo of it. 

I was amazed and happy the chair was brought back to life and is being used!

Honored Contributor

Yes it is expensive. I priced a small sofa and loveseat. I think it was about five thousand but that was for slipcovers. They said the seamstress was so good they would look like they were reupholstered. I decided to buy new but haven’t done it yet.

Respected Contributor

As others have said, it depends on: the type of fabric you select for the reupholster & the quality of the piece you have.

If the glidder & ottoman are not of high quality, then it would most likely be best to toss & buy new. Labor & fabric are expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

It will be at least as much as new.  However you can specify the grade of foam, replace springs and get much better, unique fabric.  I have done several items and would do it again.

Honored Contributor

I have a love seat that cost 600 dollars 40 years ago and I had that reupholstered about 20 years ago for 500 dollars and chose the same high quality fabric that was on it, but in a different color. The only thing they replaced other than the fabric was the spring down cushion with a regular foam cushion.. We are still using that love seat all these years later, but I'm not having it reupholstered again.

Contributor

Wow, I didn’t expect it to be so high. 

A glider is a rocking chair that glides instead of rocking. The ottoman also glides. 

I paid $500 for it 18 yrs ago. It’s perfect except for the cushions and they do not sell replacements. 

I guess I’ll have to buy new. 

Thanks for for all your info!

Trusted Contributor

I have talked to an upholsterer about this very same question. What he told me was that unless it is something you are very sentimental about, it would be better to just replace it. 

I hated to do that but his price was too high.