Trusted Contributor

Approximate Cost to Paint Hallway

I live in a split level home that has six steps to go upstairs.  The upstairs hallway needs to be painted.  I used Magic Eraser with bad results on some scuff marks on the wall.  Magic Eraser removed the scuff marks but changed the finish on the wall, so the hallway now needs to be painted.

I would paint the hallway myself; however, there are a few areas on the walls that I would like to have sanded so for that I need a professional.

I realize that I can call to get free estimates; however, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar project done and what was the cost.

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Approximate Cost to Paint Hallway

Couple of thing to consider before interviewing a painter.  1) who is buying the paint?    I like to select the brand so cheap thin paint isn't furnished by the painter.  2)  I like to work on how much per hour they charge.

If they charge $25 per hour  (just a figure) and it'll take 7 hours = you've got the information you need.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how long the hallway is, but I'd guess about $300. 

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

I live in a split level home that has six steps to go upstairs.  The upstairs hallway needs to be painted.  I used Magic Eraser with bad results on some scuff marks on the wall.  Magic Eraser removed the scuff marks but changed the finish on the wall, so the hallway now needs to be painted.

I would paint the hallway myself; however, there are a few areas on the walls that I would like to have sanded so for that I need a professional.

I realize that I can call to get free estimates; however, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar project done and what was the cost.

Thank you!

@BunSnoop wrote:

Thank you!

Many contractors will try to steer you toward needlessly expensive paints such as Benjamine Moore. I have always used Glidden paint from Walmart. The contractos insist on priming also to inflate costs.  You can get a very nice paint job with Glidden Flat White. I would get 3 quotes before starting a project and dont feel bad to "dicker and haggle" with the contractor. Many of these people are looking for indoor work this time of year if you live where its cold so you should be able to get a good deal.

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop 

First:  the quality of the paint is most important.  If it is a high traffic area ( walls on the steps ), the better paint will turn out to be the bargain in the long run.  

In one of our homes, we needed to touch up a badly scuffed area after moving furniture up stairs.  The leftover paint touched it up without “ showing”.  Incidentally, if you keep the leftover paint to be used for touch ups: store it in a glass container.  

Second: ask for contractor recommendations.  I would include places like Home Depot and Lowe’s as well as neighbors.

Third:  to keep the time of the contractor focused on painting, I would do the floor protection covering and baseboard taping myself.

I learned the lesson of Magic Eraser the hard way so now I Test it in an area that won’t be so obvious.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

While I would agree that 'top of the line' paint is probably not necessary, I would also agree that a good, quality paint is a good investment. I also would not personally choose a flat paint, especially for any high traffic area, as it's not easily washable. One need not go to a semi gloss or high gloss, but can choose a satin or eggshell finish, which will not only provide a little sheen but both are also more easily maintained. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I can't even guess what the labor costs would be. Do get several prices and be aware that there are lots of folks out there saying they are 'professional' painters, but very few of them are. Truly professional painters are a vanishing breed... While panting might not be rocket science a truly skilled painter is a real find... They know how to mix paint and they know how to do quality work reasonably quickly and with minimal disruptions...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The cost will be dependent on the length of your hallway and how much sanding you want done. I would never use a flat paint in a hallway (or most any wall for that matter!). I would ask the painting contractors what brand of paint they use.....they're the experts, and I've never had them steer me wrong. I like Sherwin Williams as a good medium price-point paint, and that seems to be what most have recommended. 

In my part of the country (Midwest), a medium length hallway with just a small amount of sanding and painting would probably be around $200 to $300, plus the cost of the paint.

Honored Contributor

It's not the paint, it's the labor that drives up the price.  Get the best paint you can afford, especially for a high-traffic small area.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  This is over 10 years ago but the person I hired was in business for himself.  However, he did get paint (Benjamin Moore) at a discount.  I think your best bet would be to get a handy man that does painting.  Do you have a local newspaper?  Local newspapers would be your best bet and you can probably view the ads online.  Good luck.

kindness is strength