Honored Contributor

Re: Approximate Cost to Paint Hallway

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Sooner  This is over 10 years ago but the person I hired was in business for himself.  However, he did get paint (Benjamin Moore) at a discount.  I think your best bet would be to get a handy man that does painting.  Do you have a local newspaper?  Local newspapers would be your best bet and you can probably view the ads online.  Good luck.

I'm not in need of a painter now.  Whole inside was painted 3 years ago--thank goodness!  I NEVER hire handy men.  I have not had good luck with that, and wouldn't hire out of a newspaper ad either because I don't know who I am calling.

I check with friends, and get references from local interior stores who have been in business a long time and have people they have used.  I am very very picky (paranoid maybe?  LOL!) about who I let in my house to do work.  Both from a standpoint of finding someone who knows what they are doing and someone who isn't a crook or con man or thief.

It gets harder and harder now doesn't it?  But that's just me.  And I'm kinda that way, so make allowances for that! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes you don't get a great deal if a contractor has to come to do a small job like this one appears to be.  Do you have anything else that you are planning to paint in the near future that you could add onto this job? For example, how is the hallway going DOWN six steps to the lower level?

Respected Contributor

It may be more cost effective to just find a "handy man" in your neighborhood to do the job. A contractor may consider the job too small to justify the labor.

Valued Contributor

You are supposed to be able to check for contractors and price out things like this on the "Home Advisor" website (used to be Angie's List and you had to pay to use) but they changed it so that anyone could use.

Respected Contributor

I need a lot of painting done in my home (interior).  I've been in sticker shock getting quotes.  The only way you'll know is to get a couple of companies (insured companies) in to give you a quote.  Good luck.

Valued Contributor

I second the recommendation to find a handy man for a small project like this. I have had much success with finding contractors for work around my home through Angie's list. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just had my downstairs/ upstairs hallways and stairwell painted ( 3 weeks ago) and have never paid for pro painters before ( did it myself) and I was shocked at the estimates. 
After several estimates that were twice this price, I found a paint franchise who charged me $1600.  Like I said, professional painters are surprisingly expensive.  That said, it is obvious that thy did a MUCH better job than I have ever done.... It was worth it-

You pay for their set up and room prep, sanding, cleaning, and clean uptime, not just rolling the paint. 

Respected Contributor

@debfau wrote:

You are supposed to be able to check for contractors and price out things like this on the "Home Advisor" website (used to be Angie's List and you had to pay to use) but they changed it so that anyone could use.

I've had great results with Home Advisor.  I moved and the problem here is that I found a guy I really liked and he fixed multiple issues.  Unfortunately I have found that he and many of these guys advertise they do all jobs no matter how small or large.  Yet, many now all have a minimum charge - and I've had some say it's $175 and recently another guy wouldn't come unless I had at least $500 worth of work.  And these were handymen.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

While I would agree that 'top of the line' paint is probably not necessary, I would also agree that a good, quality paint is a good investment. I also would not personally choose a flat paint, especially for any high traffic area, as it's not easily washable. One need not go to a semi gloss or high gloss, but can choose a satin or eggshell finish, which will not only provide a little sheen but both are also more easily maintained. 

I agree with this. 

My only caution would be that I have had issues with satin paint. The very first time I used it, I fell in love with the texture, the quality and the sheen being just right for easy clean up.  Problem is, I can't remember what brand I bought. 

Later, when I had 10 interior doors to paint, I chose a satin from Sherwin Williams, and I have to say, it was a huge mistake. Very flat, didn't cover as well as what I'd bought before, doesn't clean, at all. I really need to do all 10 doors over again. 

So I used to balk at getting paint samples and trying various colors and finishes, but for me, it is well worth spending money to try several and letting them dry for a few days to see and feel what I'm really getting. I hope to never make that mistake again.