Esteemed Contributor

Re: Appliance warranties from Big Box Stores

[ Edited ]

@hopi wrote:

Purchased the  the HW from HD on my Maytag Frid & Dishwasher both past the manufactures warranty date and both appliances  had to be repaired once so I probably broke even on a service call.

I don't know why these new appliances have so many issues.

Because nothing is made to last!!!

I bought a new dishwasher and range about 5 years ago -  both still work fine but the dishwasher doesn't clean  well (even though it has every bell and whistle!) so I use it as a drying rack moreso. I was resistant to replace my refrigerator at that time becasue of all the horrible reviews- but eventually did 3 years ago. Within a few weeks the freezer glide (it's a french door design) broke!  I haven't even called about it- all that hassle Woman Frustrated - it still works, it jsut wobbles a bit. I really need to get on it before it doesn't close at all.....

Respected Contributor

Friend purchased new refrigerator with ice maker from HD. Not making much ice so replaced. New one not much better. She was told that new regulations prevent ice maker from making more than this amount. Anyone else getting this story?
Esteemed Contributor

@twins mom wrote:
Friend purchased new refrigerator with ice maker from HD. Not making much ice so replaced. New one not much better. She was told that new regulations prevent ice maker from making more than this amount. Anyone else getting this story?

I don't  even know how much ice is made- it's an internal mechanism that I'd need to take apart to see. But I do know it seems to start grinding out the ice several times a day- my cats freak out at the sound! So that tells me it's made in smaller quantities.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi

Best Buy and Home Depot have millions of BAD reviews for Customer Service. I like Lowes. I bought my washer/dryer from them a couple of years ago. In the past, I never purchased the warranties - but now I do as they're inexpensive. When I purchased my washing machine, there was an issue with it. I called the store - which is near my house - and they replaced it immediately. There's a one-year warranty and an additional 4 yrs on the extended warranty - which I used for my dryer. Excellent Service!!!! Just using the warranty once - pays for itself.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My approach to buying appliances has changed completely since I found a great local appliance repairman.  I will probably buy my next appliances from Costco if they are price competitive and discussing with my repairman.  LM

PS, I did a lot in my local community to get this guy work.  He is now a treasured go to and many on our community FB page recommend him.  Smart huh?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom

Costco gives a 2 year warranty on all big and small appliances. A couple of years ago, I bought a Samsung big-screen tv from costco on line. Came with a 2-year warranty and I purchased an additional 3 yr warranty (Square Trade) thru them - which was only $30. I haven't had any problems with the tv. Love Costco!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah, yes I am a Costco fan.  Love their return policy and their warranties!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom

I just checked costco's on-line extended warranties on appliances - and I paid even less than I thought. Woman LOL

I bought my 40" Samsung flat screen tv at Costco - and total price was $300. Can't beat that.