Respected Contributor

Appliance warranties from Big Box Stores

I need a refrigerator.

When I check the on line reviews, the most common complaint is poor customer service is resolving operations/quality complaints.

So my question is: Tell me about your experiences with Home Depot or Lowes when it comes to appliance repairs in and out of warranty.

It seems like it is just a ****** shoot. If you get a lemon, good luck getting the problem resolved regardless of where you got it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Appliance warranties from Big Box Stores

Purchased the  the HW from HD on my Maytag Frid & Dishwasher both past the manufactures warranty date and both appliances  had to be repaired once so I probably broke even on a service call.

I don't know why these new appliances have so many issues.

Trusted Contributor

Where I live, big box stores have the worst service, and service people who aren't as experienced. Also, those stores have appliances made for them to meet their prices, you won't find those models elsewhere.  There's a reason they can offer them cheaper, they started out that way.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila4Now wrote:

Where I live, big box stores have the worst service, and service people who aren't as experienced. Also, those stores have appliances made for them to meet their prices, you won't find those models elsewhere.  There's a reason they can offer them cheaper, they started out that way.

That's an odd statement - where do you find appliances that are not at the store or online:

Respected Contributor

Got all of my appliances from HH Gregg who went bankrupt.  I'm dreading day I have to go to big box store to get an appliance. 

Esteemed Contributor

We got our microwave from HH Gregg, now out of business.  When we had a small problem with it, two Samsung reps were out the next day to take care of it.  I would hope that HD or Lowe's would have similar service.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

We just bought a new refrigerator from Lowe's.  The entire purchase experience was awful.  Waited 3 weeks for delivery.  Once it was finally delivered, the ice maker wouldn't fill with water.  I read the instruction book and it said it might take 72 hours for the ice maker to start working. Sounded crazy to me.  After waiting the 72 hours, I called the store and spoke to the sales person, whose response was that I would  need to call the service provider.  I assured her I would be happy to do that if she would just give me the number!  We waited 2 weeks for them to come and the repairman couldn't figure it out, so he's ordered a new ice maker.  It will be another week before that can be installed.  I hope that will fix the problem.  

Honored Contributor

I really don't think it matters.  About five years ago my mother replaced all her appliances.  My sister did a little price check and they ended up at a well known mom and pop appliance store.  She bought stove, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, washer, dryer.  The delivery guys couldn't hookup the microwave or fit the stove in place.  They just left it.  A call to the store was a waste of a call.  My BIL hooked up the microwave and put the stove in.  It had to be lifted an inch to get over the counter.

After a couple years, the washer had issues.  My sister called them and they said it was out of warranty, call the manufacturer.  Last year the fridge started having problems.  It was pulled out to check the connection.  The three prong fridge was plugged into a two plug socket.  I guess they should be lucky the house didn't burn down.

I'm in another state but also went to a small local appliance store.  Sales lady told me to call anytime.  Had a minor issue, so I called her.  I was switched to service before I knew it.  So, I'm totally clueless where we'll shop for my mother or I when we need a replacement.

Trusted Contributor

@hopi, Check the model numbers for the item, there will be one or two digits different for say, a washer from Lowe's or Home Depot's.  When you compare it with models on the manufacturers web site, there will be differences in what that they have compared to what the company shows on line.  In order to sell the machine at the price the store wants to sell them, the company has to make changes.  You won't find the exact model number at any other store.  This isn't for every appliance, but often the ones they advertise the most.

Respected Contributor

Bought our new washer from Costco and could not be happier.  They added 1 year to the warranty at no extra cost.  Delivery and set up included plus they would remove the old washer.  About 1 month after delivery the price decreased and they credited my credit card.  No hassle.  Those were some of the reasons we bought our new PC from them.  Previous PC bought from QVC and it was nothing but problems.  HP did nothing during the warranty period.  Bought an area rug from Costco.  When it was delivered, I noticed some grease on it.  Called their Customer service who set up pick up at my home for return and replacement.  I would not hesitate buying anything from Costco either in store or on line.  Great customer service that stands by their products 200%.