Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use a latex foam topper for your bed?

@Nightowlz wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nightowlz 

Thank you for that excellent info. I saved it for a reference. I'll be shopping for a topper soon. I think 3 inch is what I need according to what I've read so far. I need a firm one.

@SilleeMee 

Don't forget to look at the ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) number. The higher it is the firmer. Have you read about that yet? So much to research.

I'm thinking we need a Dunlop but not sure. Talalay is bouncier and softer which is how my last pillow was that I did not like. Don't want real firm but don't want sinking soft.

@Nightowlz 

I'm looking at "medium, soft or firm" and not really paying attention to the ILD. I guess I need to check the ILD, too. 

Honored Contributor

I found one on Amazon. It's 3 inch, Dunlop, firm, no cover...$300 for queen. I don't need a cover. Have to think about this. I have an old dog and she has trouble getting up on my bed as it is now. If I add 3 inches, forget about it. She won't be able to get up there. Might have to wait a bit to make my purchase....after I get another younger dog. I don't think it will be that long to tell you the truth...my dog is very old. But I need to start doing my homework now so I can be prepared.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

3in.....it is in a mattress pad that can be removed to wash. It is about 10 years old, purchased from Q.  I may be mistaken and it could be memory foam..... my memory is just foamy. Don't want to mislead anyone purchasing anything.

Regular Contributor

I purchased a 3 inch soft density Talalay topper with cover from Latex for Less online a year ago to add to our 20 year old Talalay mattress. I use a plush mattress cover on top of the layers of latex. DH and I are very happy with topper. It was shipped rolled up in a rectangular box, well packaged and ready to place on bed immediately. 

Respected Contributor

Is this the latex that is used in gloves? Some people are allergic to latex.

@SilleeMee wrote:

Can you give me an idea how it is or what to look for? I'm looking for a topper but NOT memory foam.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Is this the latex that is used in gloves? Some people are allergic to latex.

@SilleeMee wrote:

Can you give me an idea how it is or what to look for? I'm looking for a topper but NOT memory foam.

@On It 

Yes they make latex gloves from sap from the rubber tree. They use the same in latex toppers to put on top of your mattress. It's a mattress topper made from latex vs memory foam. You can search latex toppers to find lots of them plus how they are made.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I found one on Amazon. It's 3 inch, Dunlop, firm, no cover...$300 for queen. I don't need a cover. Have to think about this. I have an old dog and she has trouble getting up on my bed as it is now. If I add 3 inches, forget about it. She won't be able to get up there. Might have to wait a bit to make my purchase....after I get another younger dog. I don't think it will be that long to tell you the truth...my dog is very old. But I need to start doing my homework now so I can be prepared.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee 

I looked at some on Amazon too. At the bottom of the page where it lists the item being viewed plus 3 more some say foam/latex? Why would it say foam unless it's not 100% latex? I did read some do this.

I also looked at them at latex for less. That's where I bought my pillow I don't like.

I looked at Saatva, Avocado, Turmerry, Plush Beds, several places that sell organic.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

The ones I'm seeing say they are 100% latex. The 'foam' part just explains what kind of latex it is. Latex comes in different forms...sheets, foams, liquids...etc.

Respected Contributor

I found mine to actually be to soft. Hot and it slides across the bed   I gave mine away

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I am sorry about your dog.  We have an older dog, who has started successfully using a ladder to get on the bed.  It came from Chewy.

Good Wishes to you both.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras