Honored Contributor

Anyone use a latex foam topper for your bed?

[ Edited ]

Can you give me an idea how it is or what to look for? I'm looking for a topper but NOT memory foam.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone use a latex foam topper for your bed?

I don't have one but Sleep on Latex makes toppers. Their latex beds are highest rated by Consumer Reports and they're far cheaper than most other companies.  Their reviews are great,  their customers say they'll work with you to find the right comfort level for you.  HTH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had latex pillows. I need a new one since the last one I bought was too soft. It's pretty much the only pillow I have found that I like.

I would also like a latex topper but don't know which one to buy?

They make them using 2 different processes. Dunlop or Talalay. I saved this info from Plushbed a while back.

Dunlop Latex Process

The Dunlop method of mattress making is more natural and energy efficient than the Talalay method, since it involves less steps:

• The trees are tapped.
  • The sap is collected.
  • The latex foam, in a liquid form, is poured into the mold.
  • The mold is then sealed, and baked in an oven (this process is called vulcanization).
  • The mattress is removed from the mold, and washed thoroughly once thoroughly baked.
  • The foam is then dried thoroughly to remove all moisture, after being washed.

Dunlop mattresses are known for their exceptional elasticity, which helps them maintain their shape over time and avoid sagging and indentations. They are also the longest lasting type of latex and the most supportive.

Talalay Latex Process

The Talalay method of mattress making begins very much like the Dunlop method. Trees are tapped, sap is gathered and the liquid latex is poured into a mold.

This is where the process is different. Instead of completely filling the mold with liquid latex, like in the Dunlop method, the mold is half filled with latex foam. Here’s what happens next:

• The mold is sealed.
  • A vacuum is used to expand the latex so that it fills the mold.
  • Once filled, the mold is frozen.
  • Then the foam is baked to volcanize the latex.
  • Once baked, the foam is removed from the mold and washed.
  • Then it is dried thoroughly to remove all moisture, after being washed.

The Talalay method has more steps than the Dunlop method and it uses more energy in the manufacturing process. The latex created with the Talalay method has tiny pockets of air throughout the foam. This provides more softness than you will experience with Dunlop latex.

The natural latex mattresess from PlushBeds utilize both Dunlop and Talalay latex when crafting our unique line of mattresses. The Dunlop core provides superior support and durability, while the Talalay layer ensures exceptional comfort and cushioning – great for soothing pressure points.

You also have to figure out if you want organic, 100% natural, synthetic or blend from what I have read. I don't want one full of chemicals. Dunlop is more durable but Talalay has better airflow since it's less dense. The Dunlop is heavier on one side because the latex sinks in the mold but that makes it firmer on one side than the othe. I have read lots of info online but still not sure which too buy?

If you buy one let me know what you think about it.

They are expensive since I'm looking to buy at least a 3".

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.. they are  heavy and do not stay in place.

Trusted Contributor

@hopi  @SilleeMee That's right, latex is very heavy, one reason we didn't buy a latex mattress.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Thank you for that excellent info. I saved it for a reference. I'll be shopping for a topper soon. I think 3 inch is what I need according to what I've read so far. I need a firm one.

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@hopi  @SilleeMee That's right, latex is very heavy, one reason we didn't buy a latex mattress.

@decaf  @hopi 

That's what I found out...that they are heavy. So that's why I won't be buying a mattress but just a topper. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nightowlz 

Thank you for that excellent info. I saved it for a reference. I'll be shopping for a topper soon. I think 3 inch is what I need according to what I've read so far. I need a firm one.

@SilleeMee 

Don't forget to look at the ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) number. The higher it is the firmer. Have you read about that yet? So much to research.

I'm thinking we need a Dunlop but not sure. Talalay is bouncier and softer which is how my last pillow was that I did not like. Don't want real firm but don't want sinking soft.

Honored Contributor

Since latex is so heavy I would expect the topper to stay in place, @hopi.  How thick was your topper?

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Since latex is so heavy I would expect the topper to stay in place, @hopi.  How thick was your topper?

@tansy 

ITA. We used to have a 3" memory foam topper. 

Now we want a latex topper. Our memory foam stayed in place. I did remove the cover that came with it because It was a pain getting it back on after washing it. I just put our Coolmax mattress pad cover over it.