Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone sold a home to an investor?

Aren't all buyers investors? No one buys property expecting to lose $$, do they?
Respected Contributor

It’s interesting getting pieces of the puzzle.. So apparently, a real estate attorney might be able to direct me to investors.

Unfortunately, I have no family members in real estate so I have to rely on myself to find what I am looking for.

I did find out there is private real estate investor database. Of course it’s not free, but at least I’m finding the right terms to use.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

We sold my Uncle's house to an investor.  We worked with a real estate attorney (family member) who recommended a realtor he works with to list the property.  We received a full price offer, cash, quick closing.  The house needed new flooring, fixtures and paint, but it had a new roof, gutters, hvac and appliances.  

@VaBelle35 

Am I understanding this correctly?  There was a realtor with investor clients?

ETA: Was the house listed for investors only?

Yes, this realtor worked with a lot of investors and contractors.  It was not listed to investors only, it was a public listing.

At inspection, they found termites, so my mother had the termites treated and they closed right after that.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I just looked at the listing and it sold in July 2017 and is now valued at 2x that value.

Yeah right.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

What I want is someone to buy my house “as is” without a public listing or a requirement for me to do any additional repairs or things like termite removal. In my mind this scenario is quite different from a standard real estate sale with a formal inspection.

I know plenty of people offer to do this. I just need to find a reliable one.

This is all new to me so I may have the wrong end of the stick.

Honored Contributor

This is what we did with my uncle's property.  It was listed as is, but termite treatment is not an "as is" situation.  For the few hundred it cost, it was not a deal breaker.

Have you searched for realtors who specialize in "as is" properties or investor properties?

There has to be someone local to you who does this or a realtor who knows of one.  

My friend is a realtor in CA and she has found herself in sort of a niche market and the lawyers and realtors in the area know it's her niche and send these listings to her.

You should have no issues finding the person to do what you ask unless you live in a very rural area.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

When you say "public listing" are you referring to having to have an open house and have people coming by to see it all the time?

You can certainly avoid that if you find the right realtor who will shop it to his/her contacts.

I don't know if you can get around not listing it.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

A private investor could hardly go wrong buying my property. It is worth 5x what I paid for it in the current market. And even at a discount, I think I would also come out ahead.

I am checking out possibilities.  I did find one area investor with a 5 star rating.  Will keep looking.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana 

Have you had your house inspected, so that you as the owner are aware of any potential problems that would hold up a sale?

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@ Montana 

Have you had your house inspected, so that you as the owner are aware of any potential problems that would hold up a sale?

@lolakimono 

I haven’t gotten that far yet. Just in the very beginning stages.  I hadn’t thought of having an inspection ahead of time.  I was assuming that an “as is” sale included any problems that might exist.