Esteemed Contributor

Anyone here have a Juki sewing machine?

I'm looking for a new machine that strictly does straight stitching. Everything I have searched online for comes back to Juki being a great machine.

My question: which model do you have, did it come with accessories, what do you like/dislike about it? Did you buy it at a dealer or online? I have looked and don't have anywhere near me.

Thanks for your input.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone here have a Juki sewing machine?

@riley1   I don't have a Juki.  But I do a lot of quilting and have seen them in action. I would not hesitate one bit, if I didn't already have too many sewing and embroidery machines. Woman Wink

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I don't know if you would be able to find a machine that only does straight stitching.

I don't know anything about a Juki.  It seems to me that you are looking for a basic machine and I don't think they are it.  

It looks like they are expensive and you'd be paying for a lot of features that maybe you don't really want.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@riley1   Guess what!!!!  I just bought a Juki TL180QVP!  My dealer just started carrying them and they were having a special promotion because of a local quilt show.  I got it for $1050, and it included an Arrow table, which whould have been another $150-$200!

I am in love with this machine.  Straight stitch only, and I'm using it for quilting.  The most perfect stitch I've ever had, and I have many machines.  It's industrial strength and will even sew through thick canvas, leather, vinyl, etc.  I saw a demo and they sewed through 12 layers of denim.  This will come in very handy for me when making tote bags, etc. 

It's not huge.  It will be easily stored out of the way, when I'm using my other machines.  It's a mostly mechanical machine, so there's not much to go wrong with it.  And, you oil it yourself.  Any sewing machine service person should be able to service the machine.

It was pure perfection, right out of the box!!!  Look it up online, and you'll see all of the features and included feet and accessories.  It even comes with an extension table!

If you don't have a dealer, look for one online.   You might be able to order it straight from them.  Amazon sells them, but they are the older models, and the one I purchased has a few more features.  However, you're still getting the same quality from Amazon, if you choose that route.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

You might also consider a Janome basic model. They have a heavy duty model and it's under $1000.  These are super easy to thread & use. Happy sewing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@onlyshopsonline - Good luck with your new machine. I am an avid quilter so the Juki peaked my interest because of the straight stitch/speed/little maintenance features. 

I have several other machines (I call it my stable). One is an embroidery machine and one is light enough to take to retreats. 

Thank you for the information, I will look up that model. I was looking at the TL 2010 as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 

Ohhhh, would love to see a picture of your "stable" of machines!

While I sew, it is mostly blankets for Project Linus.  No fancy stitching required, but I work on fleece and do use a modified zig-zag stitch.

I had never heard of the Juki brand.  Will have to check it out.

Fabric, sewing machines, patterns = heaven!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman - I do the pillowcases. Right now I have a bag full of smaller pieces of fabrics to donate to someone that makes the "bean" counters for the kids undergoing treatments. 

I also make smaller quilts for newborns and they are given to the parent who basically has nothing. Baby quilts are my favorites to make. Every baby deserves a blankie to cuddle with, lol. 

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 

We ARE sisters for sure.

Nothing makes my heart sing more than sewing for children/babies, anyone who needs some comfort.

We have several women in our group of "blanketeers" who do beautiful pieced quilts, tied quilts and crocheted blankets.  They are so beautiful!

Mine are simple, but colorful and definetly cuddly.  It's my favorite past time!

Some of the women make little blankets with ribbon tabs for the babies to play with, but I've never heard of "bean" counters. 

Please explain...might be something we want to start making.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

You ladies ROCK!  Keep up the good work.  Can't imagine how much people appreciate all your hard work.