Trusted Contributor

Anyone have experience with an alarm system like Simplisafe?

I have had Guardian protection for 15 yrs currently at $35 a month. Yesterday a beep showed a battery needed to be replaced in the garage. My son went up on a ladder in the garage and said there is no battery--it is hard-wired. They want me to pay  $110 for the first half hr. for someone to come and "take a look at it."  I said no. I would just want it disabled. They said, no someone would need to come out and remove it---same money. I haven't used the system in years because they had to wire it to an inside wall which is far away from the garage where I come into the house. There are always 3 dogs to step over and around while I try to hurry to turn off the alarm, so I don't set it. I checked into SimpliSafe but they also charge $25 a month for monitoring and the set doesn't come with smoke alarms. I am actually more worried about a fire when I am gone, than a burglary. I don't know what to do. I don't know anyone who has SimpliSafe, but the reviews are good. I have a smartphone, but don't turn it on most times as it is for emergencies mostly. I am older and don't use it, so I probably wouldn't notice if I got an alert for fire or burglary anyway. Looking for experienced users to comment. Thanks.

Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with an alarm system like Simplisafe?

I have had SimpliSafe for 9+ years and am very satisfied with it. It's the kind you set up yourself but if I can do it at age 78 anybody can. I pay $14,95/mo for it. There is a fancier version for $25 but I see no need for it. You can buy as many or as few sensors as you want. They have different packages but I bought mine by the piece. This is the 3rd version I've bought. They keep improving it & I keep buying. I have 30+ sensors, including entry sensors on the doors & every window, glass break sensors, motion sensors, smoke detector, keychain & the basic base station & keypad. Someone could probably get in Ft Knox easier than they could my house. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SimpliSafe has self monitoring at no charge. You would receive notifications on your smart phone.

Nest makes a fire/carbon dioxide detector that will notify you of fire when you are not home. You would receive notifications free on your smart phone. They need replaced every 10 years.

Roost makes a Smart 9v battery that works in most fire detectors that will notify you of fire while you are not home also to your smart phone free. Just change the battery with the Roost.

I know you said you don't use your phone much but I don't know how else you would be notified while away from home.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you. I will look into Roost. Never heard of that. So I could keep the fire detectors I currently have and just use a smart battery. Never thought of combing more than 1 system.