Super Contributor

Anyone have bamboo flooring in kitchen?

If you do, do you recommend?  How do you clean the floor?  I am considering bamboo because I can't find porcelain that goes well in my white and grey kitchen.  It will be the final floor in this kitchen so I wnat to make the right choice.  We have no pets bur my husband is not very neat so the floor would have to be durable.  I heard it dents easily, is this true?  I have young grandkids that spend quite a bit of time with me since we live next door to each otherj so that's another reason for durable flooring.  I can't put down runners since husband has issues with walking and tripping over a carpet or runner can be a problem.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have bamboo flooring in kitchen?

My brother has bamboo floors in his living room and into the kitchen/dining room. He has mentioned he has gotten a few dents in it here and there but I don't think any more than with another type of wood floor. Not sure what he uses or clean it. I've always thought it looked pretty. 

Super Contributor

I'm reading up on pros and cons.  I have a heavy portable island that may be a problem.

Respected Contributor

We have bamboo throughout the house but not in the kitchen.  I love it.  No dents or anything and we have a heavy sofa sitting on it.  When we move the sofa there are no marks.

I just clean it with Bruce's hardwood floor cleaner.  I spray and use a Swifter and wipe it up.  Easy.  But, I would either Google or talk to a retailer about your questions.  You don't want to be sorry you put it down.

Occasional Contributor

I have bamboo throughout my whole first floor, including my kitchen/dining area with white cabinets and grey countertops/backsplash.  I LOVE it and it's very durable, maybe I have 2 small dings in nearly 7 years (my brand is Teragren). I have a cordless vacuum that I can quickly go over it and then I just clean with water and the Norwex floor system.  I couldn't be happier, if it wasn't so expensive, I'd of put throughout my whole house!  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a live linnk to external retailer

Honored Contributor

@Kleo wrote:

If you do, do you recommend?  How do you clean the floor?  I am considering bamboo because I can't find porcelain that goes well in my white and grey kitchen.  It will be the final floor in this kitchen so I wnat to make the right choice.  We have no pets bur my husband is not very neat so the floor would have to be durable.  I heard it dents easily, is this true?  I have young grandkids that spend quite a bit of time with me since we live next door to each otherj so that's another reason for durable flooring.  I can't put down runners since husband has issues with walking and tripping over a carpet or runner can be a problem.

The way our house is situated, it's a straight shot from the front door, walking through the living room to the kitchen.  We have a 3 ft. wide bamboo walkway there.  I do keep a runner over it most of the time.  Even so, it's very durable and easy to keep clean.  Bamboo is supposedly a bit more water resistant than hardwood.  I've always been reluctant to put a wood floor in the kitchen, but I would consider bamboo if I were making a change.