Trusted Contributor

Anyone have a washer with an impeller instead of an agitator?

I am looking for a new washer. When I tried to compare some, a few high-efficiency models have an impeller, which I had never heard of. Which is better do you think?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have a washer with an impeller instead of an agitator?

I've had a GE top load w/o the center agitator for a few years now. It works really well. Has water saving features and cleans things really good. I can even wash my bathroom rugs in it.

Honored Contributor

Our Kenmore impeller washer "drinks through a straw."  BUT it is old, so that is part of the problem, but it was never wonderful.  It is the queen of imbalanced loads and not enough water.  Problem is our door to the laundry room is too close to the washer and dryer and it is hard to find one that fits in the space.

NEVER would I BUY anything from SEARS again either.  They have been THE worst in customer service and repair and billing since the beginning of this hated appliance.

Honored Contributor

Take it from this 63 yr.old,buy a speed queen with a agitator.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

First of all I am an agitator kind of guy.  Secondly, look at some of the reviews/videos on youtube of impeller washing machine.   They are awful especially if you are unable to control the water level to get your clothes dunked.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a newer Kenmore HE that is a top loader, and am heading toward the purchase of a stacked set.

I would never voluntarily buy an agitator style washer again, but I do understand that the fact that I'll be stacking will be part of the decision making. 

The Kenmore I'll be replacing is the very best washing machine I've EVER used, but it no longer fits our space or lifestyle. 

Very interested in all comments!

Wanted to add, I have NO IDEA how we lucked into the purchase of our Kenmore, because I too had wound up "hating" Kenmore anything, after the purchase of a "top line" dishwasher that was a disaster.

But the particular CLOTHING washer is a dream- far less off balance issues, wonderful detergent/softener/whitener distribution system etc. healthy soak-wash-spin-rinse ratios.

My present concern about buying something "SEARS" is how long Sears will even be around. Decisions, decisions!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

its a matter of time before sears goes out of business. i have a maytag he waher with out the agitator an i love it. some people love them and some people hate them. if your someone that likes there laundry washed it alot of water than he washer is not for you,

Valued Contributor

I bought a Maytag top load, without agitator, along with matching dryer when my 25 year old whirlpools decided to die.  I HATED! both from day one.  I WILL NEVER buy any HE washers again.  It didn't clean clothes well, washer always had to be cleaned (of course they wanted you to buy the expensive washer cleaner), didn't put enough water into the tub. I had to add to the water level just to soak a load. Never seemed to rinse well, so I put them through another rinse (water saving, OK). The clothes always seemed to have a funky smell (IMO)..the dryer made this weird loud noise (I could hear it from upstairs clear down into the basement), had the repairman out 6 times within 6 months of purchasing. 

NEVER AGAIN!  And they were not cheap to buy. 

We sold our home with the apliances and was so glad to be rid of them.   Now have an old set of Kenmore top load washer and matching dryer.  The clothes are clean and do not have that "smell". and I can soak something without adding to the water level.  I just hope I can purchase something of a replacement when these die, as I don't know how old they are. 

I'm glad a lot of people enjoy their HE washers, but not for me..I want the basic.  JMO

Honored Contributor

When we bought our house 6 years ago we got a builder grade GE agitator washer that was made to be in the house and run very quietly. It soaked the clothes for 30 min prewashing and they always got perfectly clean. Sadly it broke and was not repairable so I went and bought a hotpoint top loader with agitator but it is NOT a good washer - very noisy and hardly any water. I hate this washer and so it will probably last forever.

Respected Contributor

When I read this I totaly had a Vlad the Impaler moment, then someone mentioned to it drinking water through a straw.....it was all laughes from there.

On the new washer front, I have a 16 year old Amana that is still going strong with an agitator.  My sister got the front loader, and hated the whole maintenance thing, three motor replacements and so on.  She got a lemon and was burnt on it since she had small children during the whole laundry nightmare over and over again.  Lowe's gave her a full credit and she got a traditional agitator model.  There is nothing like a mother with small kids in full crazy mode to get credit for not one but two appliances as her dishwasher later went out.  Both were Samsungs.

I would go with a good old Speed Queen.  You can go to their website to order and find a dealer if you like.  The new washers on the market are meant to die in 5 years or so.  Apparently the companies don't make money unless you buy a new one frequently!