Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a pond, and fish???

I had one and raccoons came to it. My dogs barking at them drove me crazy and so I got rid of it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all!! I would love to hear all experiences protecting fish.  We do have a net that just came, the idea of the pvc pipe across the pond to protect lilies and wayer hyacinth is wonderful!!  Our pond is 900 gallons approx.  maybe 12x14 including waterfall 

my husband , thinking all fish were gone brought 4 small fancy goldfish and 2 shubunkins, and placed them in pond after acclimating for a while.   That's when we saw the first sighting  of our Shubunkin and one ryukin.  Last 2 days all fish are hiding.  Makes me so mad.  But gardenman is right the fish are scared by everything.  Everyone wants to eats them.  Survival.  Shubukin are so fast you would think they are the last fish to be caught.  But one is alive, he come out after hours once, and early morning once.  Lol. Right now we have 4 huge screens from the house covering the water pond access.   The waterfall still runs in the back of pond so my goldfinch still can drink and bath.  The net will go up later. We do need the pvc pipe across first.

i think a couple of the original fish that are hiding in one of the caves, have told great stories of horrors to the new fish.  Because they won't come out now after speaking with the "wise fish" in cave. I am sure the fat round  Ryukin (who looks similar to a nemo fish) has been filling their heads  about "the Great Escape". 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty   Here is a pic of my pond with the net on.

12009681_1116046298423208_1759058125958676881_n.jpg

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 

how gorgeous.  Now those are fish!  Net looks good.  I showed it to my husband

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty  Thank you.  The middle support frame my husband built makes the net almost invisible because it holds the net up and off the water.