Honored Contributor

Anyone have a pond, and fish???

I had 6 Ryukin fish I loved and treasured in my backyard pond.  It is a 900 gallon recirculating pond.  Over a week ago a Heron came and took some of them. After the shock, we left pond empty. Then days later  We had a sighting  of 2 of them in the cave.  I was cleaning and Ebie came out quick and flew back in.  i also spotted one of the chubby Ryukins.  But they will not come out of cave.

question....have you ever had fish terrorized that took to hiding?  Will they stay in there forever?  Its been a week.  I miss them so much.  I have no idea if any other ones are in there.  I dont think so it is small cave.

anyone.?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have a pond, and fish???

So sorry to hear of the loss of your pet fish. They were probably traumatized, and now deathly afraid to come out.  

No creature wants to be hunted.

Perhaps you can install netting or a wire fencing over the top of the pool to prevent future attacks.

Once the fish feel secure, they may feel comfortable returning to visit with you.

Honored Contributor

Life for fish in the wild is a never-ending fight for survival. Your fish are likely out of the cave a lot more than you think, but have learned to hide out at the first hint of danger/movement. People often say "It's a dog eat dog world" but in reality it's an everything eats fish world. Birds eat fish, snakes eat fish, raccoons eat fish, crabs eat fish, bigger fish eat smaller fish. If you're a fish, the odds of surviving from a fry to die of old age are probably a million to one, because there is always something out there trying to eat you. Some netting over the pond will help to keep predators at bay and over time your fish will relax a bit more, but being a fish is a hard life in the wild.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Yup, I have a HUGE pond in my front yard. I live on a lake and it never ceases to amaze me with it unique beauty every single day! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Yes, we had a small garden pond, with fish and a huge bird flew in and ate several of the fish!  Last year we turned the pond into a water feature, no longer a pond of water.  We filled it in and now have a decorative stone that the water bubbles up and over...the water recirculates.

We miss watching the fish but dh was getting to the age that cleaning the pond and the up keep was to much and our dog loved the pond and jumped in one time!!  We no longer trusted her outside by her self, she loves the new water feature!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty  I've had my koi pond for around 15 years, and never had any problems with the Heron until about 5 yrs ago when I came out one day and all my fish were missing.  I later discovered it was a Heron because he returned the following night.  About a week later I started seeing some of my fish come out from hiding under some shelters I had built for them in the bottom of my pond. They wouldn't eat any pellet food for about 2 weeks they were in shock from the bird.  My pond is around 12ft x 12ft., and my husband bought some pvc pipe sprayed it black with waterproof paint and built a elevated support that sits above my pond about 1ft., it's a long piece of pipe with legs on each end that sit in the pond, this way the net is not laying on my water lilies. I then draped a black fish net over the support and secured the netting on the sides of the pond with rocks.  Fish pellets can go through the net holes but the Heron can't get my Koi.  I haven't had him get any fish since then, and he has been around.  Be patient they will come out, but net your pond as soon as you can it's the only thing that works against those birds, they are huge.

Esteemed Contributor

Herons will find a free meal anywhere. I did know someone who had this problem. He put some kind of netting over the pond to keep the herons out. However, he also put something (can't remember what) either on or around the net thing so the herons would not get caught in it.

Valued Contributor

so sorry to hear about the loss of your fish.

Respected Contributor

We used to have a small pond with a pump/waterfall out in front. We'd have tadpoles and frogs. I decided to take it out as snakes would often come for the water. Not for me. 

Super Contributor

We are doing the same this year.  Our water garden folks are taking our 14 Koi after the annual clean out.  New home in bigger place.  We will have the falls and pond but no more yuck and cleaning and maintenance.  Birds will still bathe and the Bullfrog will croak.  Just simple additives will keep it beautiful....Can’t wait!