Respected Contributor

Anyone had a home repair done by Home Depot?

[ Edited ]

I need a minor repair to a chain link fence.

I have never had any dealings with Home Depot and was wondering what to expect.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone had a home repair done by Home Depot?

@Montana   The big box stores seem to use contractors that can't get work any other way.  I had a bad experience with one from Lowe's.  I think I'd call a fence company or even a handyman.  You'd probably save money too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Home Depot does not to any repairs  or installation.They hire someone else to do the work for them.  It all depends on who they hire on how good a job they will do.

i purchased a storm door from them and the installers came to do the work on a really cold icy day.  I told them that the weather was too bad and they could reschedule for another day.

These three brave men came a little late because the roads were dangerously icy, they called to tell me they were running late and they installed the door correctly.  My DH who is picky was very impressed and gave them a tip for their trouble.  They didn't want to take it, but he convinced them.  After a cup of coffee, they cleaned up after themselves and left.  The door opens and closes perfectly and has not needed any adjustment.

We haven't had an opportunity to use HD for any other work, but we were pleased with them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Home Depot will have a list of contractors usually in the store. We needed new siding and some other work done to the house. My dad went to Home Depot and contacted one on the list. He was a Amish man. He did a great job. Everything was finished in a timely manner and well done. But we also hired one for painting trim on the house from the list. They did ok. But my dad had to call them back out because they didn't do something. They also tried to charge a ton more then what the estimate said. They were supposed to leave unused paint and the empty cans in the garage so we knew how much they used. This way they didn't over charge us. But they didn't and tried to say they used more paint then they did. But it didn't turn nasty or anything. My dad did end up paying $100 more then the estimate because they did do a good job.

Respected Contributor

We didn't have a good experience with workers from Home Depot. They didn't do a great job.  We have a better experience by looking up specifc service on Yelp and find the company that specialize in that service.

Respected Contributor

Just remember whichever store you use adds on a % to the price of the contractor for themselves. If you are looking for work to be done, I have found Angie's List to be very helpful.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Has anybody ever used Home Advisor?  I purchased a condo that needs work and can't get anyone to come and do anything.  We have one guy whose mom lives in our community but he is always busy.  He keeps promising me he'll come over but never does.  He does superb work and is reasonable in price but I can't get him to come.  I tried Home Depot and the guy was dreadfully exopensive so I didn't use him.  I'm wondering about Home Advisor.  Any feedback would be much appreciated.  Thanks so much.           docsgirl

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness my dh is handy. I would never have anyone from any of the big box stores do any jobs to my home or property!! Yikes!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

we had lowes install 3 ceiling fans . installer called ahead and asked about the job and came by to so he would have all he needed with him. he was nice and did a great job and had his son with him to help.

Trusted Contributor

I've used Home Advisor several times and each time I hired excellent workers. Home Advisor vets all contractors to make sure they are licensed in their field, so you won't get a handyman when you need a locksmith or a garage door expert. Contractors listed by HA also get background checks for criminal records. They also pay to be included in the available listings so these are motivated workers. 

The best way to use Home Advisors is to post a description of the problem or defect you are trying to correct or fix. That way, contractors know the nature of the job and you get "bids" for the work by only those who want to take on that task. If you have a joke in your fence, you won't get an offer to replace your fence. You get a response from someone who can fix a hole and wants to, even if it's a small job. You get to screen whoever answers your request and you can move it along for a visit and estimate or just hire as you see fit. Many will call you back right away, meaning they want work and try hard to be hired. 

I've gotten nothing but eager, committed, talented workers at Home Advisors. I felt perfectly safe with whoever I hired and the price agreed on was the price I paid. In three different jobs I was able to hire legitimate workers who wrote a contract for the described work, supplied good materials and reliable labor, finished in time and cleaned up. 

I recommend Home Advisors for easy solutions to home repair when you can't get someone specifically recommended and you're  truling to get the job done without a reference. There's no "man around the house" here so I have to hire outside and I feel more confident with Home Advisors, even for small jobs like replacing a radiator valve or putting up a shelf.