Honored Contributor

Anyone else out there like just the 'base model' of things?

When it comes to things like cars, fridges, washer/dryer, shower/tubs, (even cell phones) etc. I prefer the basic model. I don't need the ice and water in the door, and all the fancy options. Same for cars, appliances, and the fancy showers and tubs with all the jets and things.

I think the top of the line things are really cool, but I don't want to pay what they cost, I don't want to maintain them (the more 'options' they have the more they break), and I get by just fine with the basic model, and really don't ever wish for something more grand.

I wonder if it is my age, and having mostly basic things all these years, and knowing that they just aren't necessary, or what. I love to see all the latest, fancy things when they come out, just don't have a desire to own them.

Anyone else a 'base model' kind of person?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else out there like just the 'base model' of things?

If there is a mid-range model, I usually like that. "Top of the line" items have more stuff to break, sometimes have features you don't need or want, and can be more complicated to use.

Respected Contributor

I hear you, mominohio. I have an antique cellphone that doesn't take pictures, text or surf the internet. I use it as a phone! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} We also bought a bargain basement dishwasher after our hard water ruined an expensive SS one. Won't feel so bad to replace it compared to the expensive one, and it's been holding it's own for a few years now.

Once had a jetted tub and found the last thing you want to do after relaxing is...to clean the tub! LOL

Some things I like that are higher quality - our HD Smart TV, my husband's SUV and KA mixer to name a few. We're in the market for a fridge and while I prefer my water/ice in the door, I'm not planning on going crazy.

Denise
Super Contributor

I tell my appliance man what I want and what I don't need. I usually end up with something in the mid-price range. In appliances, I prefer mechanical knobs/buttons/whatever they're called over touch screen things. My new dishwasher is a pain. I keep bumping into the screen and then have a hard time canceling the cycle that shows up. I realize that knobs, etc are not going to be available much longer/maybe they're already gone. For this reason, I will keep my electric range as long as possible. It's almost 30 years old and still works perfectly.

I'm not enamored by the newest gadget. Like another poster, my cell phone is a dinosaur. I make a couple of calls/month on it and that's it. I'm very proficient on the computer and use my desktop and laptop for on-line shopping, surfing, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel that way about appliances, but not electronics.
Respected Contributor

I'm not so interested in all the top of the line models either. I think more bells and whistles mean more to break and more money to fix.I have an IPhone 3s updated to ios.6 and it works great for my needs. I prefer knobs and such over touch screen on appliances too. I do spend money on shoes..lol.
Trusted Contributor

Absolutely. My Dad used to say that the fewer knobs and settings on appliances, the better. Not as much to break. It's overkill with this stuff. Too many settings I'd never use. The simpler the better.
Regular Contributor

Count me in with you! I'm very low maintenance! I live in a circa 1927 apartment which I love, but it has no dishwasher, washer & dryer, A/C or other mod-con. I use a manual can opener, a small basic 2 slice toaster and (wait for it) drive a 1996 car which runs beautifully!

But, yes, my phone and computer are the latest and greatest! Smile

Honored Contributor

Nope, I like all the bells and whistles. But when I had to pick out a new frig, the one I had my eye on had a soda maker included with ice-maker in the door. I knew I'd NEVER use that so I opted to get the model down from that particular one. Love it!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I agree about electronics vs everything else.

I'm good in the mid range of most things. I like convenience bells and whistles, but when you start getting into products where your washing machine makes your coffee and warms up your oatmeal, I tend to keep walking. LOL

An example of something I wouldn't buy is a tv with a DVD player inside. I can't tell you how many people I know who have these lame tvs all over their house because the dvd player part stopped working but the tv is still good and they hate to throw it out.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN