Respected Contributor

Anyone Try Weighted Blankets?

Weighted blankets seem to be the latest craze, and I was wondering if anyone has tried them.  The commercials are convincing, of course, but I prefer to ask consumers who have actually purchased them as they are quite pricey.

Please let me know what you think of them and if you like them, can you recommend any particular brand?  

Thank you!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone Try Weighted Blankets?

My relative tried a few brands of weighted blankets and said they were just too heavy to use, so she returned them for refunds.

Esteemed Contributor

@GiantsLover  they come in different weights, some are adjustable. Too heavy won't be comforting. It'll just feel heavy.

@Topaz Gem  this subject is posted about every couple of months. A forum search for Weighted Blanket will yield a wealth of info.

I mention it because sometimes posters with experience using, washing, etc, who've already replied a few times, may just pass it by when it comes up again.

Contributor

I had purchased one for my granddaughter this past Christmas. I had my son look on the  net and he found one. She is is her internern ship at Rochester, NY. .She had a bad experience . She had read up on it and tought it may help her. Thats when I decided to purchase it. I did get her the one I believe it was 115 . they go by your weight . She is 4 hours from home . She did say it is helping her . She was having problems not sleeping , anxiety, and many other issues from what had happened to her whe she first started. 

I know we did not get it at the Q. I will ask my son where he did get it. I believe it was arond $135.00 . 

I hope this helps you.

Sweetpea856

Respected Contributor

I was just channel surfing and they were presenting one on Evine. It is 15 lbs and the cost was, I think, $79.99.

Trusted Contributor

My autistic grandson, who by the way, is 'defiant' about everything, gave me a ''yes nod" when I asked him if he liked his weighted blanket.  So it's a win for him !

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14has a weighted blanket, I believe. If I remember correctly, she purchased it last fall and found it very comfortable. It's like a cocoon or being hugged and comforted from what I've read. Not too heavy or warm.

Also, lately I've been reading there are different warmths available as well as weights. Check them out in your local stores to find what is best for you, then find the best type and price on-line or in the big box stores.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

My autistic grandson, who by the way, is 'defiant' about everything, gave me a ''yes nod" when I asked him if he liked his weighted blanket.  So it's a win for him !

I’ve worked with several children who have benefited significantly from wearing weighted vests during classroom and therapeutic activities.

So nice to read about a thoughtful grandma who seeks helpful gifts for her grandson!

Best to you both!

Frequent Contributor

I first purchased one that was 20 lbs. It was way too much weight. I'm 69 and it weighed heavily on my legs and made them hurt.  I then purchased a 12 lb one from Target online and it was perfect.  Don't go by the weight guide lines they give you. 20 lbs doesnt sound like alot but you put that on and it is quite heavy.  A younger person would do better with such weight since their joints are still working! LOL

Honored Contributor

I'm curious about this subject because for me personally, I can't imagine having weight added, but I realize that some may like or need this.
"To each their own, in all things".