Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Still Have a Pointsettia?

I still have my small red one.  One year I had one that was very healthy and come spring time (northeast so...June!) I planted it outside and it grew like crazy all summer.  Shaded area and a little water.  It had no red leaves, just all green.  Made a nice filler.

Respected Contributor

No longer buy them because they are poisoned to cats. Same with Easter lilies.

Respected Contributor

Have 2 cats so indoor plants are not for me, but my Mom would cut down the pointsettia stick in a place no light ignore it then around sept./Oct she watered it and it came back. they come back but have to cut it down when they are done blooming. think maybe research and find out what to do. 

Honored Contributor

This past year was probably the first ever I never got a pointsettia because of travelling.  (ahem travelling--not vacation...) 

I usually get a huge one at a really nice florist boutique in town.  Pricey, but so worth it.  Mine stays in a room facing north.  No sunlight and rather chilly in the winter.  They last forever.

So wish me luck with a night blooming cactus that I *FELL* for last spring/summer.  I only get to water it once a month, if that, and it's still alive (I think).

It may be a ONE NIGHT blooming cactus, because that's how long the beautiful bloom last.  Sigh.  $25 bucks, but the cactus itself is quite interesting to look at.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

They often look nice through Valentine's Day. I can imagine after four months you'd like to get rid of it. Perhaps a springtime bouquet can replace it.

I wasn't going to try to bloom it again, so I did heave it. DH got me roses for V, so after that....  I'll get to the local nursery and check out suggestions here, or ask them for advice.