Respected Contributor

Anyone Have a Prayer Closet?

Someone recently mentioned that they had a prayer closet and I had never heard of such a thing.  I started researching it and sure enough, there are several examples on Pinterest and elsewhere online.

I was just wondering if anyone here had a prayer closet and if so, could you share your ideas?  Did you set it up in a separate room or do you have a little private nook set up in a larger room where you can go for some ‘me’ time, meditation, prayer, etc.

Thanks!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have a Prayer Closet?

@Topaz Gem I do not, but our Sunday School class watched a movie together, I believe the name of the movie was War Room....this person had a prayer room in her home.  It was a good movie.  I had never heard of a prayer closet until I saw the movie.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not have a prayer closet ~ sounds like a lovely idea for some Heart

I've always been one who prays whenever and wherever my heart tells me : ) in other words I don't need a specific place to pray.  

But I'm guessing this room would serve as a very quiet, peaceful designated place and that is a beautiful thought : )

Respected Contributor

Momtodogs, I have heard so much about the War Room movie!  I will have to put it on my list ASAP.  Thanks. 🙂

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

I think I heard of it before, I pray everywhere.... checkout line, car, at work, at home etc

when I sigh I say "Lord help me"  I don't even know I say it, it just comes out.

Respected Contributor

Irish1210, I’m the same way, but when I heard about prayer closets, I was kind of intrigued.  I would still be inspired in other places, but the thought of having my own little area that I could decorate, etc., and spend some quality quiet time was kind of appealing.

Respected Contributor

Close by my home, my parish has Adoration Chapel.  I go there when I need to be alone and pray for help for my self and for others that I have promised to pray for.

I can do this at home; however, I need to be there “ total immersion” if you will.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I know what they are and I've considered one but I have a pretty quiet home so not truly necessary.

I had recently considered some floor cushions on Etsy, a few candles and my prayer shawl.

Honored Contributor

I saw one online that was kind of like a she shed.

Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem - I have a prayer "corner." It's certainly not the only place I pray, but when I read devotions or study or write, it seems to be the best place in the home for me. I have a comfy chair and ottoman and a small table with a candle (real) and a seasonal item, My Bible is always in the same bag, and it moves around the house. My corner is in our sunroom overlooking the backyard and the woods behind us. It's very peaceful place - where I can center myself.

Once in a while I try to follow the practice of reading and praying through the sunrise. I light a candle and use that for light. Sometimes I use a flameless candle to see better. I always enjoy it, but it's hard to do if you have a busy day ahead of you at work! 

I am trying to find room for a prayer closet at our church. After going to some workshops about it, I've learned the younger generation (20's, 30's) especially likes this idea - just a small room with a chair or two, a stand, a Bible, and not much else. One example I saw had a table to the side with a map of the Holy Lands on it. It has to be somewhere where they can be completely alone with God. Our church was built in 1860, and there is not a whole lot of room on the first floor that could be a sanctuary like this! But I think it's a great idea and I hope we can do it!