Esteemed Contributor

Anyone Have A Floating Floor Installed?

Due to a leak in our kitchen, we are having our hardwood floors replaced in the kitchen, powder room, breakfast area, pantry, and hall closet.  We are looking at luxury vinyl and have seen glue-down floors and interlocking.  If you have a floating floor, I would be interested in any problems or concerns.  Thanks.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have A Floating Floor Installed?

[ Edited ]

We had a" floating floor" installed 3 years ago when we remodeled our basement and we like it. Our basement is mostly under ground, we did have a problem with a small area of the floor buckling due to moisture, we turned on the dehumidifier, it subsided and we didn't have a problem with it again. I like the idea of the floating floor because the floor can easily be repaired. The floor looks great and it's easy to maintain.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99  Thanks for the info!  I did read that buckling can be a problem, so I will definitely be asking about that.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@blackhole99  Thanks for the info!  I did read that buckling can be a problem, so I will definitely be asking about that.  

@SXMGirl  Make sure you get an installer who knows what they are doing or it could turn into a nightmare. My sister had someone who didn't know what they were doing and her whole floor in the kitchen is loose, you can actually see the space between some of the seams. My contractor had installed the floors in his own home so he did have experience before he did ours.

Respected Contributor

Yes I have a floating vinyl plank floor from Home Depot called Lifeproof flooring. Its a little over $3 a square foot.  I would not recommend solid wood in kitchens, laundry rooms, anywhere there is a chance for a flood.  The vinyl flooring looks nice and is virtually maintainence free except for using a microfiber swivel stick.  

Plus: The flooring is softer than real wood (easier on the knees and joints), does not require sanding or staining like wood. Easier to maintain and water proof.

Downside is it does not feel like real wood. It may look like real wood but when you walk on it you can tell its a laminate.

In the kitchen I would go with tile or vinyl sheet or planks personally, not wood.

Valued Contributor

I think it’s a good plan. About 3 years ago I had my kitchen renovated at my beach condo, and I had the floors done in luxury vinyl. This year, I decided to do more upgrades. Now that beach season is over, I’m having all the carpet removed from the living room area and matching what I had put in the kitchen. 

Honored Contributor

We just finished a kitchen and dining room remodel and chose Armstrong Pryzm vinyl flooring planks, and it is described as a floating floor (not glued down). 

It has only been in for a little over a month, but so far I love it. 100% waterproof, and we have a big dog with the most wicked nails, not a mark on it. 

I had wood before, and I love wood and wanted wood, but didn't like what happened to wood with our dog and the wear and tear over the years, so we chose this. It has great texture and graining and color (looks like weathered white washed barn siding), but if you are a lover of being barefoot and feeling the floor, it feels like plastic to the bare foot. 

My advice would be look at everything, and choose as high quality as you can afford. Floors take a lot of wear and tear, and it was one place I didn't want to skimp on quality. 

Regular Contributor

Last fall  I had all my carpeting pulled up and installed luxury plank vinyl flooring with a cork backing.  I love it!  My house looks bigger and it's so easy to care for.  floor2.jpgfloor1.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@travelin grandma  Is the cork backing quieter than other types of vinyl flooring? Is your Luxury Plank Vinyl Flooring considered "floating" flooring. After reading posts on here, I'm about convinced to try it in my library.

The only drawback is I'm barefoot frequently and not sure the feel of it would be suitable. Also, can't decide if I really want to give up the carpet in the bitterly cold winter weather, either! Decisions, decisions, decisions. It used to be so easy when my husband was here to help make them.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I had Cortec luxury vinyl plank flooring installed in my kitchen/dining room a year ago and I’m very happy with it.  Mine s a floating floor (the planks interlock together) and I’ve had no problems with that system. The Cortec has a cork backing and it kind of feels soft when walking barefoot on it. I got the high definition so it looks like real wood but isn’t (it has fooled a lot of people). So easy to care for - just plain water and a microfiber mop head.