Super Contributor

Re: Anybody recently purchased a dishwasher?

Purchased a Whirlpool dishwasher and it cleans great and very quiet.  Took out the 5 year extended  warranty just in case.  Not spending big bucks on applicances anymore - a lot of them are not built to last that's what the salesperson told me in the store. Years ago bought a Kenmore Profile refrigerator - big bucks.   The thing was a lemon and the icemaker kept freezing up.. After many repairs I told Sears to take it back since they could not find the problem.  They would not... So I demanded the return and they finally took it back.  Soon after that the store found out a defect in this model and I was given a rebate... Not a fan of Sears and would not buy again..

Honored Contributor

I have had my Bosch since 2006.  OP states she has had Bosch in the past with no issues but the latest are, according to her made in the USA, which makes them lower quality.  I am not sure that is the case, but it is what it is when people have experience with what they have. 

Like you, I have never had any problems and occasionally, mine will collect and get plugged and I know what to do.  It clearly tells you in the booklet or the online video (you have put things in there that needed trapping and it trapped them and you need to remove them because they are yukky, small food particles).  

My former dishwasher was a Kitchen Aid and it died about a year after we gutted our kitchen.  We had kept the KA because it was okay in black with all the stainless, but it died a year later and we got a Bosch.  No problems with either.  The KA lived long and served me well.  

Respected Contributor

LOVE my Bosch. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Just had my LG dishwasher repaired last week and asked the repair man what he thought the best brand was.  He stated he only buys GE and Whirlpool dishwashers as they break less often and are easier and less expensive to repair.

@Carmie  Too bad the same can't be said for GE freezers and refrigerators, any longer.

Regular Contributor

Ugh - I was thinking about getting a small freezer.  I know they have problems with their french door refrigerators (which is why I got a side by side), but freezers too? 

Respected Contributor

we have had our maytag dw for over 9 years. it cleans really well but dosnt dry dishes well. i just scrap off dishes and use finish pods and everything comes out clean. have allways had a service contract on it and good thing. it has been repaired like 5 times. control board moter has been replaced pump has been replaced and front control and door latch has been replaced and in the beginning it had a safty recall on heating elament it could catch fire so everything has been replaced on it..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We purchased our Bosch in August 2014 when we had our kitchen gutted and remodeled.  It replaced my KA,  which I initially loved, but was problematic several times.  I LOVE our Bosch...    it cleans so well, has a number of setting options and is SO QUIET.  Plus, it is very cleverly laid out and I can load a good amount in it if I want.  It counts down the time with a lighted number reflecting off the floor below,  and all the selection options are hidden.   I was also looking at the Miele at the time, but it seemed a lot smaller inside.  The Bosch won out, and it gets my approval !

Valued Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Bought a new Whirlpool recently. Love it! Quiet, choice of cleaning cycles, stainless interior. I also switched from using powder detergent to pods -- everything comes out squeaky clean!

May I ask which model Whirlpool dishwasher you purchased?  I did a bunch of research yesterday and now I'm thinking of purchasing a Whirlpool that gets really great reviews and doesn't break the bank.  Now this is coming from a diehard Bosch fan, but Bosch just doesn't seem to be quite a great as it used to be.  

Esteemed Contributor

I recently purchased a Hotpoint for $249.  I run it sometimes twice daily and I'm happy with the results.

It is loud (I don't care about that).

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I recently purchased a Hotpoint for $249.  I run it sometimes twice daily and I'm happy with the results.

It is loud (I don't care about that).

I get it.  It almost doesn't matter how much money you spend for an appliance these days because they all seem to have very short lifespans whether you spend a little of spend a lot.  It's very frustrating.