Respected Contributor

Re: Any surprises during a home renovation?

So many pleasant surprises.  Just this winter we had contractors remodel our kitchen.  They tore out two walls.  In one of them were skeletons of dead mice.  Now, over the years, I thought I heard critter sounds at night, but I thought it was a mouse or chipmunk in our attached garage.  Evidently, some got into the wall and could not get out.  I have learned that it only takes an opening of 1/4 " for a mouse to come inside.   So, I wouldn't call this "lost treasures,"  but yes, it was certainly a surprise!

Esteemed Contributor

Some years ago I lived in a cottage previously inhabited by a well-known local prizefighter, also know as "Irish Mike Baker" and indeed, his appetite for whiskey was found in a stash of bottles in the attic rafters.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

We bought a farmhouse that was built in the late 1800s.  We found a petrified mouse in the wall.  Outside, doing landscaping, we dug up a few artifacts including parts of old bottles, shutter dogs, and very old sleigh bells.

Honored Contributor

We had to replace the top floor of our house as  huge tree fell on it and destroyed the 3 bedrooms and 2 baths up there---while the trusses were being remove, the guys found a huge 3 tiered paper wasps nest over the front roof area over the front door--it was all empty of course but how did we not have of those critters in the house-----was pretty amazing and intricate architecture---fortunately, they only use a nest once----but who knows when it was built

Super Contributor

@dancingwoman - that's so great! I love stuff like that!💗

Respected Contributor

Not exactly home renovation but our friend had a good story about recovering a lost item from his childhood home.

He approached the owners and asked if he could search for an item in the attic that he had hidden as a kid. They said yes. He found his box of baseball cards. I'm guessing they were about 30 or so years old. Nice people to let that happen.

Honored Contributor

Tacked to the rafters in an unfinished attic of our first home was a license for the ( c.1920's) homeowners permission to have alcohol on the premises.  I always wanted to take it down and frame it, but the tacks were literally rusted into it and it would've ruined it.