Valued Contributor

Any surprises during a home renovation?

I just looked at my new Farmhouse Style Magazine and the editor spoke of finding long lost treasures during a move from a house lived in a long time. Made me think of finding a surprise during one of our house renovations my husband and I used to do. When we tore into the upstairs closet, imagine our surprise at finding the peak of a roof, shingles and all. Seems the house was a single story many years ago and an upper story was added many years ago. Have you ever had surprises  in moving or renovating"

Honored Contributor

Re: Any surprises during a home renovation?

Everytime I go into a closet in my house I find "surprises" that I swear I've never seen before.  However, they aren't architectural, more like QVC. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

When we redid our kitchen in our 50's ranch style house, the kitchen had a whole wall knickknack shelf.  We sheetrocked over most of it but left a small antique vase on one of the shelf cubbies before we closed it in..it has our names, when we bought the house and when we did the remodel..along with a piece of the original wallpaper. 

Maybe someday someone will find it...DW

Respected Contributor

The son of my parent's friends, years ago, tore out a wall in his house and found some sterling silver serving dishes in a hidden closet.    Quite a few I understand.  That is pretty cool!  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

@dancingwoman  I wish we would have done that with the roof peak. Spray painted our name and date on the shingles. So neat to leave something behind for the next person to find.

Trusted Contributor

We begin renovations on our house next month so I will have to be on the lookout for any "surprises."

Honored Contributor

Not for me BUT when my dad put the addition on our childhood home I remember he put a coke bottle with a note in it.

As far as I know, the house is still standing & nothing changed...so guess that notes still there!

And not renovating a home found treasures but my FIL passed at 102 years old.  While cleaning out his house it was "unbelievable" the stacks of $$$ he had throughout it in the craziest places.  We laughed because my spouse would say "C'mon here look at this a stack of singles" or "Holy Crow a stack of $100s" ...

Funniest thing - we all thought he was the "cheapest" man alive -- very very frugal BUT he had a bank account that we  were aware of and the balance in that savings account was truly "unbelievable!!"...I remember the day I called the bank to cancel his CC and the lady asked me "What do you want to do with the savings account?" ... Me: "What savings account?"

Well, of course, after the initial shock -- we are still enjoying it today...

Esteemed Contributor

In the mid-1960's my grandparents were remodeling their kitchen, including all new cabinets. When the old cabinets were removed, the contractors found several large old, dusty manilla envelopes. They gave them to my grandmother who realize they were stock certificates. My grandfather had been in finance and a banker all his life. He tracked down the owner, who had no idea of how or why those certificates ended up behind the counters and cabinets! Apparently they were never missed, but the owner was thrilled to have them returned. And, my grandmother was thrilled to have her kitchen remodeling project completed without any further thrills or surprises.
Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

There used to be a show, If Walls Could Talk, hosted by Grant Goodeve, that featured people who renovated their house and found surprises.  It was always fun to watch and interesting.

Mr 4kitties found a jar of old Indian Head pennies in the attic of the house he used to live in.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

In our old home we found a old wine bottle in the wall when we added on bedroom. When we sold house and had to fix a light my husband found a can of silver coins in attic. We lived there 25 years and it was above us all that time! We took it to a coin dealer and we got over 1000.00 dollars for what was in the can. The dealer really wanted the can but we kept it. It was a 1930s baby food can.