Respected Contributor

Re: Any Thrift Store Shoppers? Post Your Finds!

@sfnative wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

We have an approximately 100 year old Art Deco dining room set, i.e., table, chairs, buffet and china closet.  Each piece is intricately inlaid with a variety of woods including ebony and mahogany.  More than one designer has unashamedly drooled over this furniture.  In truth, it happened again just the other day.  Imagine our fun when DH tells them that he found it at Goodwill forty-some-odd years ago and that he paid $125 for the entire set.  

@IamMrsG

Art Deco - - - Oooooooooo!

@sfnative  I  know!! Woman Happy   The irony is that we have a houseful of new furniture, and my favorite pieces are the old ones.  I can't help it, I just love this dining room set. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

After reading all of your amazing finds at your local thrift stores, decided to check mine out.  This store is in a great city.  I found absolutely nothing.  I did see some anchor hocking casserole sets but really don't need anymore, dansk(???) dinner ware, but nothing that appealed to me at all.  I will keep going back hoping for that great find.

Valued Contributor

I stopped in at Goodwill tonight and found a brand new West Bend Electric Skillet, two beautiful drinking glasses and three brand new metal mixing bowls.  I already had two metal bowls that I love and use them daily so I'll get a lot of use of them. I also found a Longaberger pottery crock for 99 cents. It is beautiful.  Picked up a little what-not shelf that I plan to refinsh and display some coffee mugs on.  I had lots of fun looking at everything and got all of that for $ 8.50.

Respected Contributor

@marky...good for you on your great finds! I have a great thrift store up the street from where I live and find many great buys there.

Am I the only low income person on these boards? i don't have a personal trainer, fly all over the world to buy wine, get mani/pedi's, get my hair done, etc. I often wonder if posters here are really as rich as they claim to be. ???

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Valued Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@marky...good for you on your great finds! I have a great thrift store up the street from where I live and find many great buys there.

Am I the only low income person on these boards? i don't have a personal trainer, fly all over the world to buy wine, get mani/pedi's, get my hair done, etc. I often wonder if posters here are really as rich as they claim to be. ???

Well, you can count me in on the lower income.  Paying for our health insurance takes the majority of what I make.  I love finding things at Goodwill that need love and attention.

I had to run an errand today near a different Goodwill and ran in just for a second.  Found a dirty, grimey two quart Revere Ware saucepan for $ 2.00.  Brought it home, cleaned and scrubbed it and now I have a new pan with a beautiful copper bottom. It has no lid but also has no dents. Just a beautiful piece of cookware that needed cleaning and someone to appreciate it. Woman Very Happy 

Respected Contributor

Catwhisperer wrote, in part: "... Am I the only low income person on these boards? ... I often wonder if posters here are really as rich as they claim to be.???"

Oh, I seriously doubt it.   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Traveled out of town today to a really nice town that has a beautiful resale shop sponsored by a local hospice program. They get the most beautiful old furniture and other things.

Much of what they get looks like it is from the estates of people who passed in the hospice program, and the family donated things. I've never seen a place that has so many complete sets of china and dishes, and matching furniture pieces. Usually thrifts have just pieces and parts, but this place has lots of complete sets of things.

I'm not in the market for anything right now, but my mom found some beautiful clothing. Nice high end jackets, shoes that were brand new, a nice robe. She really hit the jackpot today!

Respected Contributor

One of my best finds was a few months ago. A brand new three piece bath and body set by Laura Mercier for $6. Large 6 oz. jars! I also found a nice two tiered fruit and vegetable stand for $1.50. Just before Christmas, I found a very nice Christmas table cloth for $3. After the holidays, I washed it and folded it up so it's ready for next year.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@CaliKat wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@flickerbulb wrote:

I also discovered that furniture stores and hotels donate like new furniture to thrift stores.

I was in Goodwill recently and they had bunch of similar type furniture. Turns out it came from the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach which is a 5 star, 5 diamond hotel!

I guess they did a remodel and got rid of the furniture. They do not buy cheap stuff, so that stuff would have been a good find!

@flickerbulb

You don't know how much I appreciate your post.

In '96 my husband took a 10 year contract way across the country, so we sold our home.  6 months into a new life more than half way across the country from California, the CEO of the company lays off everyone, having sold the company's intellectual property without notice.  What followed next was 5 years of H-!!  Won't go into much of what happened, but will tell you that once we were able to return to California, my husband sold our executive house "with all its contents!!!!!"  He didn't tell me this for 6 months.  (You simply can't do this to a woman!  We love and need our furniture and stuff.)  So, we came back with not even a bed or a chair to sit on.  Though we recently purchased a townhome (which amazes me), every stick of furniture we have is from IKEA.

I badly need a side table for my livingroom chair and will now be looking at thrift shops for one.

Thanks so much.

sfnative,

Have you looked on Craig's List, at all? You can get some wonderful deals if you're patient, and keep looking.

When we sold our home and moved into a rented condominium, my husband asked me to leave my dining room china cabinet behind. It belonged to my grandmother, but he never liked it. He said when we got settled I could buy a new one. I was so frazzled from the move I agreed to almost anything. lol.  

Well, time went on and I didn't have a china cabinet. The kind I like costs a lot of money, and I just didn't want to spend that much.

Every chance I got I scoured Craig's List for the kind of china cabinet I liked (Traditional). I wanted it to go with my grandmothers dining room table and chairs. I found very few, and none of them were right.  Ten years passed and I still didn't have a china cabinet.

Finally I saw an ad for one, and we went to see it. I couldn't believe my luck. It was made by Drexel Heritage, and it looked like it was a perfect match to my dining room set. It was over 30 years old, but it looked like new.

The  lady selling it, was selling off the estate of her late uncle and just wanted to get rid of things quickly.  I asked her the price, and when she said $200.00 I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. It would have cost me at least $2,000-$3,000 if I bought it in the store.  I would have paid her a lot more. But she was happy to have it go to someone who appreciated it. I was so happy!  I love it, and every time I pass it I smile when I think of the wonderful deal I got.

My husband would still like something more modern, but I'm hanging onto my china cabinet this time!

Good luck finding your side table! Smiley Happy

@CaliKat

CaliKat,

Who hasn't heard of Craig's List?  Well, I have, but it never occurred to me to check it out. Duh!  I blame this on my all-consumming job from which I retired 2.5 years ago. Lost all of my friends when we moved shortly after and kind of in a funk, so thoughts just hadn't wandered much.  Thanks so much for the lead.  I also need more furniture for the master bedroom, so will now be looking for additional pieces.  Many thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sfnative,

Good luck in your search, I hope you find just what you're looking for!  I'm also on the lookout for master bedroom furniture. I've had the same set for 44 years. It's built well, but I haven't really been happy with it for many years. It screams 1970's to me. I love old furniture, but this has that chunky mediterranean style, with the heavy hardware. I loved it when I was 23, now, not so much! lol

Respected Contributor

@CaliKat

Some of the  first  pieces of furniture I bought after college, and the first my husband bought after college, were sturdy but awful-looking  Mediterranean-style, faux-wood pieces, which you are probably referring to.

You would not beliieve how nice those pieces can turn out to be today if you  transform them (including the hardware such as drawer-pulls)  with some of today's high-quality paints available everywhere from small paint stores to Home Depot.

My old formerly-ugly-brown dresser with mirror was painted an off-white color (including the drawer-pulls and mirror frame) about 8 years ago and sits in one of our guest rooms to this day.

I'm in a position now to get rid of some furniture, but I have been having a hard time deciding to part with that dresser.

I've had guests compliment the look of the room, so I guess some people agree that the old brown plastic dresser looks pretty decent with its makeover..