Respected Contributor

Re: Any Thrift Store Shoppers? Post Your Finds!

Throughout the year I search thrift shops for afghans that are in good condition, have gorgeous color, and a distinctive pattern.  Usually I spend about $5-8 for one.  In the summer I donate the washed afghans to a local church for their annual picnic where they are raffled off.  At one point  I stopped by the table and could not find any of them:  they were among the first to go.  The volunteer astounded me with what they had made in one afternoon.  I am now more dedicated to finding and donating these beautiful and useful items.

Last month I found several terra cotta-colored dinner plates and then found cream-colored quasi-soup plates that had a raised terra cotta pine cone design.  ( $7 ).  Added a tablecloth and my neice has raved about the table setting she has.  ( She recently painted one wall terra cotta so I can't wait to sit down and eat there ! )

The most gorgeous thing I have found is a pinch pleated gold tapestry drape that is fully lined:  85" X 84" for less than $10.  It was sold by the pound at clearance !!!!

When we were in Naples, FL last winter we found a huge glass, wrought iron and an unknown " whitewashed " type frame edge dining table with 6 matching chairs for $ 700.   This may sound expensive but it was an unbelievable bargain.  The whitewashed finish matched the finish on the white furniture that the condo came with !

Love thrift store adventures, especially when they help others.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Throughout the year I search thrift shops for afghans that are in good condition, have gorgeous color, and a distinctive pattern.  Usually I spend about $5-8 for one.  In the summer I donate the washed afghans to a local church for their annual picnic where they are raffled off.  At one point  I stopped by the table and could not find any of them:  they were among the first to go.  The volunteer astounded me with what they had made in one afternoon.  I am now more dedicated to finding and donating these beautiful and useful items.

Last month I found several terra cotta-colored dinner plates and then found cream-colored quasi-soup plates that had a raised terra cotta pine cone design.  ( $7 ).  Added a tablecloth and my niece has raved about the table setting she has.  ( She recently painted one wall terra cotta so I can't wait to sit down and eat there ! )

The most gorgeous thing I have found is a pinch pleated gold tapestry drape that is fully lined:  85" X 84" for less than $10.  It was sold by the pound at clearance !!!!

When we were in Naples, FL last winter we found a huge glass, wrought iron and an unknown " whitewashed " type frame edge dining table with 6 matching chairs for $ 700.   This may sound expensive but it was an unbelievable bargain.  The whitewashed finish matched the finish on the white furniture that the condo came with !

Love thrift store adventures, especially when they help others.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I love to go to antique stores and thrift stores and root through the linens.I just do not have need of or a place to put any furniture, though my home is filled with some beautiful antique furniture. So I keep it to looking at the linens and some dishes usually. I am also particularly fond of teapots. I used to have a large collection of teapots in a bookcase in our dining room until one night my DH woke up with very low blood sugar and while stumbling out to the kitchen in the dark he knocked it over and broke them all. 

Esteemed Contributor

We live close to NYC and about five years ago we started browsing the thrift stores.  I was amazed at some of things I acquired.  There is one store that benefits aids patients and many designers deliver brand new items for sale.  I wish I did this when I was younger instead of shopping B & M stores.  Of course it's hit or miss but if you're there at the right time it's amazing .  

Trusted Contributor

I also discovered that furniture stores and hotels donate like new furniture to thrift stores.

I was in Goodwill recently and they had bunch of similar type furniture. Turns out it came from the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach which is a 5 star, 5 diamond hotel!

I guess they did a remodel and got rid of the furniture. They do not buy cheap stuff, so that stuff would have been a good find!

Respected Contributor

Not a thrift store find, but more of a "sitting next to the dumpster at my apartment when I was in my 20's find" I ran across is a two-seater wooden "settee" with upholstered back and seat.

I re-upholstered it 3 times - five homes, two husbands, two states and it's still going strong. 

Had one of those hump back trunks that I loved but didn't go with my home, so gave it to my niece who loves antiques.

Denise
Honored Contributor

I live in a rural area. I just don't have the heart to shop at my local thrift stores. We have very needy people who live here. I really feel its doing them a disservice if I go in and buy something that I find "a great buy" when someone else in my community shop there out of dire necessity. JMO

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I live in a rural area. I just don't have the heart to shop at my local thrift stores. We have very needy people who live here. I really feel its doing them a disservice if I go in and buy something that I find "a great buy" when someone else in my community shop there out of dire necessity. JMO

Having worked in management for several not for profit thrift stores, I can tell you that many people of great means hit the thrift stores, and that many people who one would think 'need' to be shopping there based on their economic status, would never go in.

I can tell you that there is enough 'good' stuff to go around. So unless someone is going in daily, and buying up every piece of designer clothing (or any other category of things), there is plenty for the well to do, and the not so well to do. Most thrifts are adding merchandise on a daily basis.

And if it might make some think a little bit, most thrift stores can only give items a few weeks on the sales floor then they are pulled. Many organizations bale all textile items, and sell it by the pound. It then goes a number of directions, but mostly is used as rags or shredded for packing materials. I watched some really fine designer clothing end up as wiping rags in factories, because the sales floor was full, the merchandise has to be rotated out, and the right buyer just hadn't come along for that clothing. 

I'd rather see someone who doesn't 'need' to be thrift shopping get an item than it end up a rag.

Trusted Contributor

I never even considered that my buying a 50 year old typewriter or a 40 year old piece of Corningware is taking away something from "a person in need".

Thrift stores are there to make a profit for the organization it represents. I feel I am supporting the charity with my purchase.

I know for a fact that antique dealers go to auctions, yard sales and thrift stores to find things to resale. As long as the buyer and seller are satisfied, I don't see a problem.

Super Contributor

Got a  kick out of the "vintage Corning blue" pattern--and then realized that that's probably what everyone calls it. I have tons of it--but I'm over 80!!  Now I know how vintage I am.LOL