Regular Contributor

Re: Any Thrift Store Shoppers? Post Your Finds!

@flickerbulb wrote:

@J9  I admire your rehab painting skills! I usually use a high gloss paint with a foam roller to paint. Can you share what kind of paint you used on the server and the cabinet?

I would also like to know how you applied the stencil. I was out yesterday and found a cute shelving unit that would look great painted.

I left it but may go back for it on Tuesday. Your painting technique would look great on it!

I actually use Annie Sloan chalk paint. It's a little more on the expensive side for a can (about $40 for a quart), but it covers really well. I painted two end tables, an antique desk, a mirror, and a desk chair with one can and still had some left over. Not many stores carry it, but if you do a Google Search for "The Purple Painted Lady" you can buy it online. Definitely worth it.

you have to apply wax when you're done to seal it. I usually use clear wax, let it dry, and then apply dark wax to get the distressed look. I didn't use dark wax on the purple desk though because I didn't think it went with the color. It stays tacky for a bit and you do need a special wax brush and lint free cloth, but I've even been able to put a sweating glass on my finished pieces without any issue. (I do try to avoid doing that though.)

i used the the same paint for the stencils and just bought a set of Martha Stewart stencil brushes at Michaels. I ordered the stencils from Royal stencils. I've reused them a bunch of times without any issues.

Regular Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Beautiful work J9.  Do you prime before painting the furniture?  You have some great finds.

No priming or sanding necessary with the paint I use in most cases. The only exception is some wood stain dyes from the 1940s bleed through because of some kind of chemical they used because of wartime rationing. If you are cleaning the pre-painted furniture and it has like a reddish stain coming off on the cloth, just put a coat of Zinser clear shellac on before you paint to seal in the color so it won't bleed. Easy peasy.

Honored Contributor

I just saw the cutest thing on facebook. One of those old 2 level end tables from the 50's - cut a hole in the top level and put a basket through it and then paint the whole thing a bright color for a kid's room and put in their favorite small toys like leggos or domino's or miniature cars etc. they can build or play on the bottom shelf and put them away by simply dumping them back into the basket. If you do miniature cars you can paint a road and trees & houses etc on the bottom shelf.