Trusted Contributor

Any Suggestions on How to Remove Butter Stain from Upholstery?

Does anyone here know how to get rid of a butter stain on the upholstered seat of a dining room chair?  I'm really bummed and can't seem to find anything that works.  Help!!  Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any Suggestions on How to Remove Butter Stain from Upholstery?

Depebnds on the fabric. Some chairs are covered in silk and some in polyester. You need to turn the chair over and see if there is a tag, then if it has cleaning directions.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had good luck with Shout. It might take a few times but I found that it was better to attempt removong the stain in stages than trying to get it totally out the first time. I have ivory colored upolstry on my dining room chainr and it never fails that after holiday meals there's a few "surprises" on all the kids chairs. (even the ones who are well beyond school years!!!) I've had  butter, gravy and lasagne sauce. 

My next thought is that laundry stain stick but I think that would depend on your fabric. My chair fabric is a lighter weight blend that looks like a silky damask but is a blend hat is strong. I have not used this method .

I've seen stain/spot removers at BBB for specific stains or fabrics. I would search on line and see what is available.

Good Luck! 

Honored Contributor

It is always a good idea when you buy upholstered DR chairs to spray them with a stain repellant and repeat that about every 3 years.  I avoided this issue by buying a DR set with wood seats on the chairs but then when we moved to Fl I was stupid and bought a kitchen table with upholstered seats, so I use stain repellant spray.

Occasional Contributor

Consider a degreaser, that's all that butter is. You have a grease stain.

Trusted Contributor

@shebamom wrote:

Consider a degreaser, that's all that butter is. You have a grease stain.

Thank you.  I understand that it's a grease stain.  I guess I was hoping by some miracle someone on here had used a degreasing product that worked.  Guess I should have said a little more in my original post.  Thanks for your reponse.

Respected Contributor

Have you tried using your carpet shampoo tool and some carpet cleaning detergent?

Maybe some Hot Shot.  I cleaned the fabric seats in my van this way and it worked quite well.

Valued Contributor

I have heard for an oil stain to rub a piece of chalk on it. Wonder if that would work on butter.

cookin

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have already spread it with rubbing it in, you may be in trouble. Usually, you want to start by blotting the grease from the butter and trying to absorb it with an absorbent powder, such as cornstarch, talc, baking soda. Vacuum the dried powder off and then use a dry cleaning powder on it-- the kind that you work in and then brush or vacuum off. Always test that cleanero on a hidden part of the fabric; if it is just a covered chair pad, you may want to pop the pad out of the chair and turn it over to find hidden fabric to test. 

Honored Contributor

Whenever I have an oily stain on clothing, I'll pretreat the stain with a little dish detergent before adding the garment to the washload.  As for the wash water, I use either warm or hot, depending on the fabric and color.  I don't know how it would work using cold water.

I'd try a degreasing type dish detergent (a clear one, if you can find it) and try to spot treat, if the chair material will accept it.  Some fabrics won't and a ring or discoloration may be left behind.  Maybe try a test on the underside of the cushion where some of the fabric is exposed.