Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Suggestions for this Problem?

Why in the world would you feel you have to do any of this?  Suggest to him that HE buy blackout shades or blackout curtains for his window!! How much light can this possibly be?  Also - normal living really.  This is absurd!!

Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

My next door neighbor's son has complained that he cannot sleep when I leave my outside garage light on.  In an effort to be a good neighbor, I am wondering how I could "black out" the two sides of the glass that face his bedroom window.  Could I safely use the chalkboard contact paper on the outside?  I looked at a roll's description on line but it didn't say anything about whether it is fireproof or not.   If I painted the two panes with black paint, would that be safe?

Do you have any ideas to alleviate this problem?

It is nice of you to think of your neighbor...I have two neighbors that leave lights on and honestly it is annoying.

We have lights on our garage as well but they are motion sensing....can you do something like that?  Is there a reason you leave the light on all the time?

Honored Contributor

I totally respect that you are making every effort to be a good neighbor!

Lights like that ARE very bright and wide-reaching, so I can imagine how it would be coming in a next-door neighbor's bedroom.  Yikes!  Smiley Happy   

We don't have the type of scenario where any of our lights, the way the houses are situated, as our property is in one of the 'elbows' of a 'U' shaped street.    But I would want to be mindful of the neighbors, too, if that were the case.

Agree with others about the sensor lights so that at least it's not on all night.  We have a few of those around our house and the bulbs last about forever.  They could also get some light-blocking window covering for that window, too, and be totally covered.

But, still - good for you!  Nice neighbors are the best.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Get a motion sensor installed so it only goes on when someone or something approches.

I have neighbor about 3 or 4 houses away that leaves lights on in the backyard all night. They shine into my bedroom all night long and it is disturbing. I close the shades but it still comes through.They also go outdied there at 3am and make noise that travels.  Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

My next door neighbor's son has complained that he cannot sleep when I leave my outside garage light on.  In an effort to be a good neighbor, I am wondering how I could "black out" the two sides of the glass that face his bedroom window.  Could I safely use the chalkboard contact paper on the outside?  I looked at a roll's description on line but it didn't say anything about whether it is fireproof or not.   If I painted the two panes with black paint, would that be safe?

Do you have any ideas to alleviate this problem?

@wismiss

Another vote for motion detector lights.  They only come on if something moves outside, otherwise they are off.  We have them on all sides of our home.  They do come on if an outside cat comes over to visit, and stay on about 3 to 4 minutes.  But they detract robbers as well.  It is a good neighbor solution.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I just bought this house and have lived here only a few months, so I want to be a good neighbor.  I live by myself and am physically handicapped so I would prefer to have lights on at night for security.  

I did have a conversation with the son (he is 26) after I posted and suggested black out shades,curtains, etc.  I do think motion sensor lights would be a helpful resolution---they would provide security but would only be on a few minutes if they would detect something moving.  But with only one income, funds are limited, so I hope he resolves the problem with blackout shades or curtains until the budget allows the change of lights to motion detector.  My handyman could do the installation, but his labor would increase the total and makes it impossible to do at this time.

Thank you for all your replies.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

He's going to keep encountering this situation from time to time. Wait until he moves into a dorm or apartment with security flood lights outside his window. A friend that lives in an apartment said her bedroom is so bright from the security lights she can read in bed without turning on her bedside lamp.  She bought room darkening curtains along with a pull down shade to solve her problem....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I would not spray paint the windows with anything. I would not place any thing on the outside of the window. Garages get hot and cold and the condensation can create a science experiment that will result in needing windows. I would simply buy those black out shades for your windows. You could also buy the curtains/drapes but I hesitate with that with critters looking for a place to nest during the season.

If your neighbor still complains then I would suggest that he also purchase the black out shades.

We went thru a similar type of situation with a neighbor complaining about our floodlights/spot lights shining in his windows.  We have woods around our property and wildlife. I have dogs so I did not want any surprises when we were out for potty. We repositioned them quite a few times and changed the wattage of the bulb.  After all of that I felt that we did enough. 

Esteemed Contributor

Is this an outdoor flood light? These can be adjusted if it is shining directly into his window. However, if it is just the light that is annoying him - he should put blinds/shades on his windows. 

I have a neighbor that complains about all lights shining into her house - even one 2 doors down, across the street - it shines into her bathroom and keeps her up.

When my current house was for sale, she complained to the realtor the flood outside was too bright and it was shining into an empty bedroom.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Wow-You are such a nice neighbor. 

I was thinking would they be able to put one of those non light emitting curtains on his window or something? Seems it would be easier. Would you feel comfortable suggesting that?

This is what occurred to me as the best way to resolve the problem. It would prevent the light from disturbing him & still allow the light to function outside as it is meant to.