Valued Contributor

Re: Any Speed Queen washing machine owners here?

Thank you for the comments.  I get very anxious any time I'm making a big expenditure, especially when I haven't tried out the item, and it isn't something I can return. The comments proffered here have been very helpful.

There are 3 models of washers from Speed Queen.  2 have electronic controls; the other has mechanical (knobs).  While I originally wanted the mechanical, the salesman convinced me to get the electronic, insisting no one has had a problem with the electronics and the warranty is longer on the electronic machine, plus the two machines have the same price.

What I didn't know when I ordered yesterday, but found out today during my Internet search to assuage my anxiety is that there are two electronic models.  But the top of the line model, the 9 series, is not available from the little shop where I bought mine. I called today and learned it would take about 3 weeks to get the 9 series. I don't want to wait that long since my Maytag Bravos is dead.

All 3 models have slightly different features, but ultimately I decided the 8 series electronic one would be satisfactory. I called Speed Queen twice for information, even after spending hours studying the manuals of the 3 models. The first reps. comments sounded wrong to me, so I called the second time.  This rep, basically said the same thing, but explained it better.

It was good to be able to speak with patient, English speaking, knowledgeable customer service representatives.

Respected Contributor

. i think you will love it. were glad we helped you make your choice.let us know what you think of it when you start using it. after your no agitator machine you will be like wow. whet a difference.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Speed Queen installed today.  So far I have only negative feelings about the machine. 

1.  It arrives very dirty on the inside with grease. One doesn't see it, but since I had read reviews about the grease, I knew to start attacking that.  A lot of time wiping down the washtub, using a great deal of elbow grease. Then used a heavy degreaser.  Did two full hot water cycles with laundry detergent before the grease hopefully is gone. I washed the dog towels first, didn't see grease on them so I'm doing my bed sheets.

2.. This machine is EXTREMELY loud.  Loud while filling with water, loud while agitating, and REALLY loud, painfully so, while draining.

3.  Poor drying in spin cycle.  Those towels were awfully wet when I put them in the dryer.

4.  Machine just feels cheap, well, the lid does.  Lid kinda bangs and is unpleasant on the fingers when grabbing it to open.  This isn't like getting into a fine German car.

Even closing the laundry room door isn't taming the loud, very irritating noises.  Next load I will go outside and see if I can hear the machine at my neighbors' house.

A thousand dollar irritating machine.  

I like the cycle getting done faster. I can't get over how much water is in the tub.  I had forgotten water is used to wash clothes.

Respected Contributor

your maytag had a spin of 800 rpm. sq is 710. the whirlpool we have is allso 710.so clothes are alittle wetter. but clothes wash in alot of water witch is a good thing.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Speed Queen. I have owned my pair for 4 years and love them both. You will not be sorry.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hard to say for sure since noise is somewhat subjective but my speed queen mechanical controls washer is not noisy to me.  You even made a reference to being noisy during filling which I have a hard time wrapping my head around too..   I am not going to be an armchair diagnosis-giver but sorry you have a noisy one.

Mine had a little bit of grease on the inside too upon arrival but like you I was already aware of it when I bought it so I wiped it out a few times with old dry rags, ran a full tub with hot water and bleach, wiped some more afterwards and that took care of it.

The build quality on these machines are the opposite of cheap.  It has metal parts in the working parts beneath the tub which is where a lot of cheaper machines use plastic parts.  If anything the build quality of these machines are top notch underneath.  My lid does not seem cheap either to me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I need a new washer & dryer, & I'm buying Speed Queen. I have a neighbor/repairman who has been fixing my things for years. He says this brand is the way to go. I'll buy the non-computerized (non-analogue?)

Since I purchased my Maytag set 5 years ago, I've had nothing but problems. First, they're horrible quality. NOTHING gets clean on a "normal" setting. How can it when it uses 1 cup of water, & it gently flops the clothes around?

This whole water-savings thing is such a joke- it doesn't save ANYTHING. Why? Because I have to wash everything on the longest cycle (heavy duty)  just so my "clean" clothes don't smell. And washing any animal blankets- forget about it. Since there's basically no water involved in washing, there's nothing to blow the hair through the plumbing.

Between the washer & my low-flow toilet, I have to be very careful about clogs. My toilet doesn't appreciate any toilet paper. How lovely. Again- no water, no power to blow things through the plumbing. 

So I have to keep a supply of Green Gobbler on hand for my laundry room, bathtub, & toilet (they all go through the same pipe). I use MORE water, because I have to wash most things twice....flush the toilet more often....on & on. 

If someone had a new in box washer/dryer set from the 1960's, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't care if they were pretty, I just want them to work!

Done ranting.   Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spot555

Those kind of HE washers also take hours for a small load of laundry.  How energy efficient could they even be when it takes that long on the electrical current?  Plus, I have heard people say they have to rinse their loads 4 and 5 times to get them rinsed, again, where is the savings when all is said and done.  Meanwhile, my waterhog Speed Queen gets a nice sized load done for me in a half hour.  I've got my laundry dried, folded and put away before the folks with HE machines have even pulled their load from their "efficient" washer.

Respected Contributor

giddy up.   Smiley Happy

Btw, I love your ID name- so cute!

Yes, it's true about the "rinsing". I've never used the rinse cycle so much in my life. So, I have to use extra water, & extra electricity. And my Maytag doesn't like the Delicate Cycle. Everything has to be juuuuusssst right, or it won't spin out the water. So, I open the door when the machine is done, & the clothes are full of water. Then you guessed it, I have to start over & use MORE water & electricity. 

And my washer is REALLY loud. The spin cycle sounds like someone is breaking down a wall in the laundry room. 

Geez I hate Maytag....with all my heart. Woman Wink

Valued Contributor

Our Maytag was new in 1983 and is still perking along...  I absolutely dread the day it dies.  Maybe I will just buy disposable clothes.  :-)