Super Contributor

Re: Any Speed Queen washing machine owners here?

I have had a Speed Queen washer and dryer for several years and love them.  They are used hard and I have never had a problem with them.  I have had several other brands through the decades including Maytag.  I feel the Speed Queen is the best.  

Trusted Contributor

THANK YOU to all of you who took the time and effort to post your recommendations.  You all have convinced me to purchase a Speed Queen washing machine.  I plan to go to our local, family-run appliance store tomorrow and buy one.  I would have gone today, but they are closed on Sundays for Family Day.

I currently have a Kenmore Elite that is only about 5 years old, but I just can't stand it any more!!  It is a top loader, with no agitator.  What a mistake!!  Sometimes all the items don't even get wet, let alone clean!  So I run the load through a second time, and what savings is that?

Anyway, thanks again for your input.  Can't wait to get a new machine that works well!

Valued Contributor

@DottieBlue Another Speed Queen owner here.  You will love the quality!

Valued Contributor

I'm in panic mode because I ordered a Speed Queen washer which may be delivered tomorrow.  I had read numerous reviews here and see that most love their Speed Queens, but the small size of the tub greatly concerns me.  Also the agitator must reduce volume.  

Most important washer features to me are: being able to wash my queen size comforters and bedspreads; washing my wonderful MyPillows; and having a gentle, hand wash/delicates wash.  

Am am I going to hate my new overly costly washer?

Respected Contributor

we have a whirlpool agitator washer witch is size 3.3 same as speed queen washer and i can fit 2 pillows in it and our king size comforter allso fits and comes clean with no problem. washer is 15 years old. if i needed a new washer i would buy a speed queen.the size is good. have you gone on speed queen on utube and seen them in action. i was very impressed. you should go on and checked them out and good luck.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, @Pooky1.  Your size comparison is very helpful. Yes, I spent hours today watching videos.

The reliability of the Speed Queen is the draw,  but the center agitator seems to me would reduce space.  I cannot use laundromats because I'm allergic to fragrances and the scented detergents remain in the machines and transfer to the next user.  

I would also like to put the dog bed in the washer...well, anyway, just large items.  I'm not happy that my 6 year old Maytag isn't working. Anyway, I have hated that I have to use the bulky cycle to get the water level I want because I'm wasting water, but I don't like the otherwise very low water level the machine sets.

At least with the SQ, I would be able to set my own appropriate water level.

I guess that all top loaders without an agitator are the troublesome machines that don't last long??  (I think anyone that has a washer older than 8 years old doesn't understand how awful machines have become.)

Contributor

The agitator  in a washing machine keeps the clothes from ending up tied in knots.  A salesman discouraged me from buying a front loader.  Said his wife hates it because she must "untie" the clothes when the wash has finished before placing them in the dryer.  Another good point is the 15 year guarantees Speed Queen gives you on their washers and dryers.

Respected Contributor

I have the speed queen washer and dryer. You turn the knob to set the cycles.While the washer is filling, you can open the lid and put in the forgotten sock or add bleach after the tub is filled. 

I had an old fashioned Kenmore for decades. When it died, I listened to the salesmen that told me that ALL washers will have to be the high efficient type. That is low water levels and the locking lids. I bought a whirlpool set and it was a disaster shortly after purchasing. In fact the washer was replaced within just a few weeks. I was later told that the gears on these machines are plastic and thus prone to breakage and the electronics are expensive to repair. When the Whirlpool washer broke down again within 3 years I started looking for a replacement 

I walked into a small independent appliance store and spotted the Speed Queen. Bought them and I am happy. They are not cheap.

Respected Contributor

i had bought a maytag washer without an agitator and my wife said why would you buy a washer that uses that little amount of water. now live with my wifes mom and she has the whirlpool agitator washer i mentiioned earlyer and when i washed clothes here my wife said i can allready tell clothes are alot cleaner here with this washer that uses a full tub of water.and i put 2 of my dogs beds in washer together an d tey come out clean

Respected Contributor

no there not cheap but for how reliable there are and how well they clean there worth the extra money to buy them.