Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

not sure why people say they get ADS on their echos?

i have NEVER received an ad via that device.

The Pandora free music service has ads, I believe. Same with I heart radio. But the ads are from the music service itself, not the Echo. If you play these music services on your internet browser you get the exact same ads because you are using the free version of the service and are not paying for a subscription. When you pay for a subscription to the premium versions, generally there are no ads. And it has nothing to do with the Echo.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain  .... If someone is "listening" in on me then they better have an awful lot of caffeine to keep them awake. They had better like country or 60/70 music or romance/vampire books. There are days I bore myself!

Trusted Contributor

You should be able to set a certain time.

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Porcelain  .... If someone is "listening" in on me then they better have an awful lot of caffeine to keep them awake. They had better like country or 60/70 music or romance/vampire books. There are days I bore myself!

Me too. They could use me as a sleep sounds service. Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

DO NOT KID YOURSELF.  All of them listen, and all of them record when you do not say it.  They hear things that they think are Alexa and you don't know they are recording.

We had this confirmed for us once when it asked us a question (can't remember what it was) and we were stunned.  Went around immediately and unplugged all three dots and 2 Alexa's. I had bought one of the first available and was a huge fan until that incident.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Echo Dot fans?

[ Edited ]

I have an "Alexa" house and I love it!  Have an Echo and 3 Dots. 

The 3rd gen Dot has much better sound than the 2nd gen had.

I also have the Echo Connect which connects to my landline and I can vocally make a call from anywhere in my house even to 911 with it. 

I like the peace of mind of knowing that!  My  Doxie can't dial the phone for me!

Alexa is only interested in the questions you ask so that if the answer is not in the database, it can be updated to include an answer.  

I've had the light come on during the night but it has never talked to me!  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

not sure why people say they get ADS on their echos?

i have NEVER received an ad via that device.

She got the ad on he4 cell phone.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

The Echos don't record everything you say. Only the commands you say during a few moments right after you say "Alexa" are recorded. You can see all the recordings they make and delete them.

The Echo is always listening for the word Alexa, but there's no one on the other end listening to that. It's all computers, not people.

However, if you think you may be vulnerable to espionage due to your business or position, then no you should not have one of these. I would not put it past the international spy community to hack in and listen in on people they consider key targets. That's not me, or most of us, though.

They are most interested in info about you...your age,purchasing habits etc.They sell that info to companies to target you with ads etc,

Trusted Contributor

Wasn't there something a while back about your TV listening and recording?

Honored Contributor

I've had my original Echo devices from when they first came out and you had to get in some sort of a lottery to get one.  I have two Dots.  I can't imagine what I did without these devices.  They wake me in the morning, set countless timers during the day, get notifications re my Amazon purchases, etc.  Great devices!