Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the quick replies. I mainly listen to Pandora through our Bose but I often use my iPad at night for a sound effects app and it would be more convenient to use the Dot. I know that the third generation does have a way to turn off the microphone and I’m going to research more of the privacy concerns.

For those that use a music app, can you have the Dot play for a certain amount of time only? It would be pretty cool if I could say: play my rain mix from          app for two hours.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Echo Dot fans?

[ Edited ]

@PorcelainI stopped using Pandora because it limited the amount of songs I could skip.  I paid extra for no ads.

I just asked Alexa to play music for 2 minutes.  I'll let you know if it stops or keeps going.

it kept going.....

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

Thanks for all the quick replies. I mainly listen to Pandora through our Bose but I often use my iPad at night for a sound effects app and it would be more convenient to use the Dot. I know that the third generation does have a way to turn off the microphone and I’m going to research more of the privacy concerns.

For those that use a music app, can you have the Dot play for a certain amount of time only? It would be pretty cool if I could say: play my rain mix from          app for two hours.

You set a sleep timer to stop music and sounds from playing after a certain amount of time. So start the rain mix playing on repeat. And then say "Alexa, set a sleep timer for 120 minutes." It will stop after 2 hours.

https://www.howtogeek.com/261005/how-to-make-the-amazon-echo-stop-playing-music-after-a-certain-amou...

@Mary Bailey I like Spotify Premium. Unlimited skips.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

not sure why people say they get ADS on their echos?

i have NEVER received an ad via that device.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have two Echo Shows and Sirius/XM All Access so I can listen to it through the Show as well as see videos.  I see calendar reminders on them.

I use it as my alarm and I have my photos in the background so every time I walk past I see a fun memory.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor
@sunshine45, I was wondering about that too. Where would the ad be? My echo dot is just a small device and only comes on when I say the name "Alexa" there is nowhere for an ad?
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
@sunshine45, I was wondering about that too. Where would the ad be? My echo dot is just a small device and only comes on when I say the name "Alexa" there is nowhere for an ad?

———————————

I think someone was referring to ads showing up on other devices after someone had said something in their home, believing that the Echo picked up on that.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain  Thank you for the timer information. It would also be nice to use as an alarm clock, I still set an old-fashioned one LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

I have an Echo and have never had any problems with it. My daughter has one as well and it is fine. She also has a Dot which she said doesn't have a great sound quality for music.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Those devices record information about you and that info is more valuable in the market than sales.My son says he would not have that in his home and suggested we don’t either.My friend was using one for music while discussing a daycare centers hours with a client.She said some people need overnight childcare and that was tough to find.Right away she got ads for 24 hour daycares in her area.

and all of that can be managed in the device management section