Respected Contributor

We’ve never been tempted to purchase a smart speaker, but when I arranged to cancel DH’s Sirius subscription 

(thinking I would have to wait for a better deal after it expired), we received a phone call offering a good price plus a free Echo Dot. Just wondering what people think and their favorite uses.

Honored Contributor

Those devices record information about you and that info is more valuable in the market than sales.My son says he would not have that in his home and suggested we don’t either.My friend was using one for music while discussing a daycare centers hours with a client.She said some people need overnight childcare and that was tough to find.Right away she got ads for 24 hour daycares in her area.

Honored Contributor

I just do not understand why anyone needs this "Alexa" at all. I do not and will not have one of these devices in my home. I do just fine without it. I feel uncomfortable with the thought of this device listening to what is going on in my home... listening what I say....

to those that use it and think it is fun....just beware.

Trusted Contributor

I have the Echo Dot and am completely happy with it. I use it to listen to music, read my books, set alarm wake-up , timer, etc. I would not hesitate to buy again.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have the dot but the bigger Echo. ONe of the things I like is that you can listen to XM in the house. I have two so it's nice that you can link them and have something playing in different rooms at the same time. And I'm pretty sure if you took the free dot and then added a different type you could link them. Good for podcasts too.

And if they gave you a good price I'd take it even if you don't use the dot.

Honored Contributor

i have two echo dots.

i have one in my bedroom and one in the kitchen. i have an original bigger amazon alexa device in my family room.

i like them for listening to my music via my bose, asking it questions, hearing that my amazon packages have been delivered, playing trivia games.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 dots.  I listen to Amazon music.  I've never gotten any ads.

I have 1 Show I watch Prime movies & listen to music. This one shows lyrics. I've never gotten any ads.

We have Sirus home lifetime subscription. I think if I put it on my dots, Sirus would charge monthly.

I work at home and listen to music about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

On the Amazon devices if I don't want to hear a song, I just say Alexa skip and it goes to another song.

(my son said he & his fiance were discussing dinner and on their phones they started getting ads for nearby resturants.  They don't have any Amazon products, but use their cell phones for everything.  I only use my cell for texts & calls.  I never get any ads)

Valued Contributor

I recently purchased the Echo Dot. This one has the option to turn the microphone off which I do normally, and I turn it on only when I want to play something. 

Honored Contributor

The Echos don't record everything you say. Only the commands you say during a few moments right after you say "Alexa" are recorded. You can see all the recordings they make and delete them.

The Echo is always listening for the word Alexa, but there's no one on the other end listening to that. It's all computers, not people.

However, if you think you may be vulnerable to espionage due to your business or position, then no you should not have one of these. I would not put it past the international spy community to hack in and listen in on people they consider key targets. That's not me, or most of us, though.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I have 2 dots--one downstairs and one upstairs. You can turn them off if you don't want "them" to hear you. I love being able to shout out stuff to put on my grocery list/appts/ reminders / timer/ music  from anywhere is my house--the 1 upstairs will turn on and off my lights or other devices I tell it to. Have the smart plugs everywhere---believe me, all your life is already known about   just from using your various credit cards, and tech devices----your car is an even bigger culprit than the dot.