Honored Contributor

Re: Another thought about spring cleaning

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

So - all you who claim you do all this super cleaning after you are out of the house - when do you do that? We have to sell our first house to get the money to pay for our second house, as does almost everyone. So - since this is a local move we will most likely have the mover - move our stuff the same day we will close on both homes.So - how would you fit this extreme cleaning into that schedule.Like - I'm thinking it is going to be a brutally busy day as it is. It was easy when we moved far away and had a few days til the mover got the stuff to our new home - but when it's a local move you only have the time it takes them to drive to the new house.

I never moved where we were out of the house on the last day. When I sell a home, I am sure that we don't allow possession of our current home on the day of closing, but at least 30 days past that, and we take possession of the new one well before having to vacate the old. 

It gives us time to get the 'new' house ready, move, and then clean the old home. 

I've never had any problem  selling with a 30 to 90 day wait till possession from the date of closing (although we have paid rent to do that, but a small price to pay for the time to get moved without all the stress and drama).

@Mominohio  This reminds me of selling our previous home.  As the movers cleared out a room, I cleaned it.  The kitchen was a mess with water all over.  The closing was delayed due to I can't remember what, but the darned realtor for the buyer called constantly all day long!  Why didn't she bug the bank or whomever was responsible.  Finally, we were done at 10:00 pm or later, went to the new house to meet the movers as they were finishing up, in the dark, and by the time they left, I almost fell over as I hadn't eaten all day and was beyond exhausted.

If I ever have to move again, I prefer to be moved out so painting, etc, can be done before showing it, which will be online, and if someone is interested, then a viewing.  Realtors say a house shows better furnished,  but that isn't always possible,  but there is always staging, if necessary.

Respected Contributor

I have never moved into a home on the day we closed.   

Honored Contributor

We moved into our house on the day of closing. Seller only had bed, tv and a few other things when we looked at the house. I liked it that way as we could really see all of the house, nothing hidden.

Honored Contributor

When I have bought/sold homes, I have always had up to 30 days till "closing". During those 30 days I pack, tear down furniture/beds, etc., and put it all (except the essentials of living) in one room which has been thoroughly cleaned. Then clean each room thoroughly as I get them packed up. Once the "closing" is done, the new owner has possession of the house generally that day or the next, if that has been agreed upon. Just a quick cleanup is all that is left once I have moved the remainder of my belongings out.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@151949 congratulations on the purchase. I was going to say I haven't even thought about spring cleaning - I'm still in my January declutter stage.  

Honored Contributor

Whether or not you can stay in a home for a day or so after closing is TOTALLY up to the buyer. When you walk out of that closing they own the home, lock stock & barrell. If they have to be in that day - you have to be out! I am absolutely positive a builder isn't going to let us move our stuff into a house before the closing.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

So - all you who claim you do all this super cleaning after you are out of the house - when do you do that? We have to sell our first house to get the money to pay for our second house, as does almost everyone. So - since this is a local move we will most likely have the mover - move our stuff the same day we will close on both homes.So - how would you fit this extreme cleaning into that schedule.Like - I'm thinking it is going to be a brutally busy day as it is. It was easy when we moved far away and had a few days til the mover got the stuff to our new home - but when it's a local move you only have the time it takes them to drive to the new house.

I hire a cleaning crew and they come in as soon as we are out, or before if we still have stuff in the garage.   You have to move out before you close, so you have the house cleaned after or even while you move.  It's not a problem.  You just get it done!  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Whether or not you can stay in a home for a day or so after closing is TOTALLY up to the buyer. When you walk out of that closing they own the home, lock stock & barrell. If they have to be in that day - you have to be out! I am absolutely positive a builder isn't going to let us move our stuff into a house before the closing.

This is not true. 

The contract for the sale/purchase is totally negotiable. As a seller you can require whatever time you wish to leave the home. You may have to pay the buyers rent per day or month after closing, but most contracts state when possession takes place, and it is indeed very negotiable. Some buyers won't do it, but many will if they want your home bad enough. I know that worked for us. We had 90 days till the new owner got possession, and we paid her rent for 60 of those days.

In many markets they try to convince you you won't make the sale if you ask for too much time. I say that isn't necessarily true. 

No, a builder isn't going to let you in before closing, so schedule your sale to close the same day or after, then with the stipulation that you have so many days/weeks to vacate. 

Or take a bridge loan and buy the new place, and take your time to get out and sell the old one. 

It doesn't have to be such a drama even though selling/buying and moving is indeed stressful. 

People refuse to ask for or demand what they want. Contracts have the ability to be negotiated. 

Honored Contributor

@151949, I noted that, "if it had been agreed on" in my post. You must have missed it. 

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

This is not true. 

The contract for the sale/purchase is totally negotiable. As a seller you can require whatever time you wish to leave the home. You may have to pay the buyers rent per day or month after closing, but most contracts state when possession takes place, and it is indeed very negotiable. Some buyers won't do it, but many will if they want your home bad enough. I know that worked for us. We had 90 days till the new owner got possession, and we paid her rent for 60 of those days.

In many markets they try to convince you you won't make the sale if you ask for too much time. I say that isn't necessarily true. 

No, a builder isn't going to let you in before closing, so schedule your sale to close the same day or after, then with the stipulation that you have so many days/weeks to vacate. 

Or take a bridge loan and buy the new place, and take your time to get out and sell the old one. 

It doesn't have to be such a drama even though selling/buying and moving is indeed stressful. 

People refuse to ask for or demand what they want. Contracts have the ability to be negotiated. 

That is exactly what she was saying. You guys are saying the same thing lol.