Honored Contributor

Re: Another thought about spring cleaning

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have always had a house thoroughly cleaned, some rooms painted, and carpet cleaned when we moved.  It sure shows better that way, and I just feel like I am doing the right thing.  I never gave it a lot of though whether to do it or not. . . just seems normal to me.

Cleaning a house in order for it to sell is one thing - but cleaning it after your moved out for the new owners is different.

It is a matter of pride thing, as well as a gesture of kindness. There used to be a certain honor in doing something like cleaning a home and "leaving things better than you found them" as my mom likes to say. 

I know when I sell my car whether trading in at the dealership or selling to an individual, I wash it good, clean the windows inside and out, steam clean the seats and carpet, and wax it if it hasn't been done recently. 

It's just the way some of us roll. 

Honored Contributor

There's nothing like moving into a brand,spanking new home! Enjoy!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

Congratulations and good luck. We just found out today our house will done around Feb 23rd. Have fun. How much of it is done?

Yesterday they painted the primer on the walls.They said it would be done by late Feb, but our closing is probably not until mid to late April, because we have to sell our current home, and then people need to get a mortgage etc.So we asked for 90 days til closing.

Keep your fingers crossed for us to sell quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949  Congrats. I never thought of just moving instead of spring cleaning. LOL. On that note, I would also never consider not cleaning thoroughly after moving out of a home. Selling, renting, or anything in between. The home my dh and I had built and then sold 17 years ago was the one and only time I had a regular housekeeper for several months. When the house sold and we moved out, I had the housekeepers go over it with a fine tooth comb. The new owners invited us to dinner (we only moved three blocks away) and they marveled at how perfect we left the house and even commented that they were so surprised that I had even filled in the tiny nail holes. Enjoy your new home and I'm certain your present home will sell quickly.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

So - all you who claim you do all this super cleaning after you are out of the house - when do you do that? We have to sell our first house to get the money to pay for our second house, as does almost everyone. So - since this is a local move we will most likely have the mover - move our stuff the same day we will close on both homes.So - how would you fit this extreme cleaning into that schedule.Like - I'm thinking it is going to be a brutally busy day as it is. It was easy when we moved far away and had a few days til the mover got the stuff to our new home - but when it's a local move you only have the time it takes them to drive to the new house.

Respected Contributor

I've never heard of having a house cleaned for new owners.  Moving out is so much work and very stressful.

I wouldn't leave a house in horrible condition.  I think it's up to the new owners to clean their house.

Whenever we've moved into a new house, I have the house thoroughly cleaned before moving in anyway even if it looks clean.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

So - all you who claim you do all this super cleaning after you are out of the house - when do you do that? We have to sell our first house to get the money to pay for our second house, as does almost everyone. So - since this is a local move we will most likely have the mover - move our stuff the same day we will close on both homes.So - how would you fit this extreme cleaning into that schedule.Like - I'm thinking it is going to be a brutally busy day as it is. It was easy when we moved far away and had a few days til the mover got the stuff to our new home - but when it's a local move you only have the time it takes them to drive to the new house.

Exactly. Plus your house should already be clean because you did that before going on the market. We closed on our house and new build the same day. We couldn’t get into our apartment until the day after. The movers came the day of closing but the lady who bought it let us stay xtra night. My parents slept on air mattresses and we left my recliner there for me. She asked if she could bring stuff over the day of closing and we told her it was her house so it was fine. If we had been able to get the keys for the apartment we would of been out same day as closing.

With the apartment we should have the keys for about 11 Days after we get the key for the new house. Because we want our deposit back we will make sure everything is sparkling before we give them the keys. It’s not dirty but don’t want them to have any excuses to keep our deposit.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Congratulations and good luck. We just found out today our house will done around Feb 23rd. Have fun. How much of it is done?

Yesterday they painted the primer on the walls.They said it would be done by late Feb, but our closing is probably not until mid to late April, because we have to sell our current home, and then people need to get a mortgage etc.So we asked for 90 days til closing.

Keep your fingers crossed for us to sell quickly.

Hopefully you will sell quick and the buyers have it easy getting everything to close on your house. Ours sold in 5 Days. Because it was a cash deal we closed in a little less then 30 Days.

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@151949  Congrats. I never thought of just moving instead of spring cleaning. LOL. On that note, I would also never consider not cleaning thoroughly after moving out of a home. Selling, renting, or anything in between. The home my dh and I had built and then sold 17 years ago was the one and only time I had a regular housekeeper for several months. When the house sold and we moved out, I had the housekeepers go over it with a fine tooth comb. The new owners invited us to dinner (we only moved three blocks away) and they marveled at how perfect we left the house and even commented that they were so surprised that I had even filled in the tiny nail holes. Enjoy your new home and I'm certain your present home will sell quickly.

My dad did the same thing with the nail holes. We had to take trim off because they had to redo floors Home Depot screwed up. Even though we had the walk through in the final days with the buyer he made sure all the nail holes were covered. He even mowed the grass for her the day we closed. The realtor and her both commented how the house had good energy and was well taken care of. If only she had seen it 3 months earlier. Floor was torn up and the dining room was a mess because of taking out my shower room.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I never moved where we were out of the house on the last day. When I sell a home, I am sure that we don't allow possession of our current home on the day of closing, but at least 30 days past that, and we take possession of the new one well before having to vacate the old. 

It gives us time to get the 'new' house ready, move, and then clean the old home. 

I've never had any problem  selling with a 30 to 90 day wait till possession from the date of closing (although we have paid rent to do that, but a small price to pay for the time to get moved without all the stress and drama).