Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another thought about spring cleaning

Before we put our house on the market we had the carpets scrubbed and my mom cleaned it. The house wasn’t really dirty because she is a clean freak.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's quite wise to do a *spring cleaning* on a house that you're ready to put on the market.  Just gives it that ultimate boost.  Have your cleaning lady do it, OP.

One of my friends has a quite successful business of cleaning sold homes.  Very easy to do because you're basically cleaning an empty house.  No furniture to move around, nothing to dust other than fixtures, mouding, windowsills, etc.  She mops floors and usually shampoos carpets.

I'm getting ready to move into a house that will be completed in a month or so.  I will do a major spring cleaning before I even bring anything in. 

I've seen kitchen and bathroom cabinets installed in brand new homes.  The workers don't wear white gloves and wash their hands constantly. 

Their tools have laid on floors, around toilets and every other cruddy surface---they're not brand new tools.

So new cabinets will be wiped inside and out, doors will be wiped down.  Same for all the tile in the bathrooms, granite and quarts surfaces. 

They may look brand new, but they need to be well cleaned before you start cookin!

Honored Contributor

I have always had a house thoroughly cleaned, some rooms painted, and carpet cleaned when we moved.  It sure shows better that way, and I just feel like I am doing the right thing.  I never gave it a lot of though whether to do it or not. . . just seems normal to me.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have always had a house thoroughly cleaned, some rooms painted, and carpet cleaned when we moved.  It sure shows better that way, and I just feel like I am doing the right thing.  I never gave it a lot of though whether to do it or not. . . just seems normal to me.

Cleaning a house in order for it to sell is one thing - but cleaning it after your moved out for the new owners is different.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Cleaning a house in order for it to sell is one thing - but cleaning it after your moved out for the new owners is different.

I agree. My mom said she wanted to go through and clean for the new owner after we had stuff out. She said she wanted her to come in to a clean house. But to tell you the truth the house was already clean because we cleaned super good before going on the market and we kept it that way with all the showings. She ended up not having time to go back and clean.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@151949  It's the same thing.  I just wouldn't want to leave a house not cleaned up.  I clean my house for me.  I have a clean house and if someone else enjoys it, good for them. It doesn't cost that much to have it done professionaly when you move out.  It's just a courtesy.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Kachina624  Did the Realtor pay to have the house cleaned?  I have a Realtor License and used to work at it full time when my kids were younger...never heard of that.

i don’t think the Realtors In  my area would do that.  Also, I can’t imagine a seller being forced to pay for professional cleaning. They would just do it themselves or hire someone on their own.

My DH lost his home to eminent domain when he was a kid.  The government built a highway through his old neighborhood.  He said he remembers his mother on her hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor while his father was urging her to leave it be after everything was moved out. His house was scheduled to be torn down.

Every home I have ever moved into or out of was sterile and clean.  Maybe it is a regional thing.

@Carmie. No, the seller pays for the cleaning.  I've bought and sold several homes and that's the way its always been done.  I bet @151949 would be glad to have the carpets cleaned by the seller if they'd had a dog/cat or both.  If the carpet was a neutral, I've never immediately replaced it but I would want it cleaned.

People could of course clean the house themselves but who wants to spend a day cleaning when you're already worn out from packing and dealing with movers?  I've always relocated and had to leave immediately to beat the movers to the new location.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  It interesting how things are done so differently in different areas of the country.

It is very normal in the area where I live to deep clean before the new owners move in.  I think maybe it might be because the area is thick with immigrants.  When they came to the US and settled in this area they went to the same churches and bars and were related to their neighbors in some way.   

The lady of the house didn’t want anyone to talk about her lack of housekeeping skills by leaving a dirty house when they moved.  My mother always said people, would talk about you if your home was left dirty.  

My MIL was not born in the US.  She came here in her 20’s.  I can’t imagine scrubbing floors on my knees in a home that was scheduled to be torn down, but she did it.  Maybe she thought someone would enter her vacated home and see dirt...

thanks for your reply

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Congratulations; enjoy your new home. I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Whenever I have moved out of my homes, I scrubbed them down from top to bottom, shampooed the carpets, and super cleaned the appliances.

I have always felt that next home owner should not have to clean up after me.  I know some people don’t do this, but my family always has .  My mother used to say         “don’t leave any dirt behind or people will talk about you”. I guess it stuck in my head.

@Carmie

Yes, this!

My mom always cleaned every house we left, like we were moving into it! It just speaks to your character when you leave things in good condition.

I only wish the home we have purchased, someone had done the same. I walked into some pretty bad messes that took weeks to clean and paint and carpet, but at least when I was done with it, I knew it was done right.

Honored Contributor

@151949

no comment on "Spring" cleaning but Congrats on purchasing a new home! Hmmmm maybe I could use that idea to buy a 3 bedroom home in another new development.  They are building so many new communities I'd have my choice!

I do love my villa - I'd never know I have attached neighbors (and honestly, I never see anyone!) - I'd like to have the extra bedroom & storage. And in hindsight, I was not ready to downsize or retire!