Honored Contributor

Another thought about spring cleaning

We decided to not spring clean this year - we bought a new house instead. Just signed the papers today. It is a new construction, partially finished.We bought on contingency that we sell our current home so this could fall through, but we expect to sell this place pretty easily. I'm pretty excited. I'll be happy to be out of a villa (duplex) and into a single family home.

Honored Contributor

Re: Another thought about spring cleaning

Congratulations; enjoy your new home. I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Whenever I have moved out of my homes, I scrubbed them down from top to bottom, shampooed the carpets, and super cleaned the appliances.

I have always felt that next home owner should not have to clean up after me.  I know some people don’t do this, but my family always has .  My mother used to say         “don’t leave any dirt behind or people will talk about you”. I guess it stuck in my head.

Honored Contributor

It is customary in the Southwest to have your Realtor hire a cleaning or maid service to clean the house after you move out.  Also have the carpets cleaned.  You may move out of the area but the Realtor is still around to make sure its done right.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anywhere I've ever moved to or from it was "Broom clean".I actually plan to have my carpets cleaned to help sell the house but why would anyone clean carpets as  they are leaving when the new owners are very likely going to buy carpet. The people who bought our last house replaced my powder blue with purple carpet. I think much of the time new owners replace carpet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Anywhere I've ever moved to or from it was "Broom clean".I actually plan to have my carpets cleaned to help sell the house but why would anyone clean carpets as  they are leaving when the new owners are very likely going to buy carpet. The people who bought our last house replaced my powder blue with purple carpet. I think much of the time new owners replace carpet.

@151949  We bought a home that was about 6-7 yrs old at the time. The house was built in the early 1990's and we moved into the home in 2001. The carpet is still the same now as it was when the house was built. Additionally, not one wall has been painted inside...only the exterior twice...once in 2008 and this Fall I'll be painting the last 2 walls (2 walls each year for 3 yrs of replacing the siding).

I wash the walls inside once a year and shampoo the carpets once a year too. All are in great condition and don't need to be replaced or painted Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I love, love ,love the carpet that is going to go into our new home. It is the ultimate neutral.The main color is ecru and there are tufts of a medium grey and tufts of beige, So it is not grey or beige - it's grey AND beige. I saw it in a model and loved it. I also did not get to choose my kitchen counters but saw them in the same model and really liked them too. They also have both beige and grey. However , in the model the cabinets are white and my cabinets are expresso brown, so it will look somewhat different against the dark brown.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise I did not say EVERY homeowner was going to buy carpet. 

If keeping the carpet it is the new owners responsibility to get it cleaned, if they want it cleaned. Not the seller's responsibility.Every realtor I've ever dealt with said "Leave the house broom clean".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Susan Louise I did not say EVERY homeowner was going to buy carpet. 

If keeping the carpet it is the new owners responsibility to get it cleaned, if they want it cleaned. Not the seller's responsibility.Every realtor I've ever dealt with said "Leave the house broom clean".

@151949  I never heard that expression in my life and I'm near 60 yrs old. I only gave you info about us and our home as an example.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Did the Realtor pay to have the house cleaned?  I have a Realtor License and used to work at it full time when my kids were younger...never heard of that.

i don’t think the Realtors In  my area would do that.  Also, I can’t imagine a seller being forced to pay for professional cleaning. They would just do it themselves or hire someone on their own.

My DH lost his home to eminent domain when he was a kid.  The government built a highway through his old neighborhood.  He said he remembers his mother on her hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor while his father was urging her to leave it be after everything was moved out. His house was scheduled to be torn down.

Every home I have ever moved into or out of was sterile and clean.  Maybe it is a regional thing.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations and good luck. We just found out today our house will done around Feb 23rd. Have fun. How much of it is done?