Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another kitchen cupboard question

I was wondering if you'd consider a two-tone paint job:  you like dark so pull a dark color out of your fireplace wall for the base cabinets and a light color for top.  Your top colors would be close to your counter/backsplash colors and be a nice, "quiet" opposition to your fireplace.  That way it won't look too busy.  Sherwin-Williams and probably any brand a paint store sells has a computer that will make that color.

I'm still doing my bathroom over.  Got a "royal blue" (really dark charcoal blue color) and the contractor will take a picture on his cellphone and the paint store can match it up exactly.  (OT:  Don't freak, using the blue as accent wall - other walls will be shade of whiteWoman LOL.)  

Good luck!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Thanks for the advice..I will probably do that.  

I am now on the fence, maybe I will just have the cupboards cleaned up and add hardware.  I thought this would be more 'fun' not a chore...which is how it feels right now.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Sooner   Thanks for the advice..I will probably do that.  

I am now on the fence, maybe I will just have the cupboards cleaned up and add hardware.  I thought this would be more 'fun' not a chore...which is how it feels right now.

@Mom2Dogs Don't get confused and lost sight of what might be.  Can you go on the paint store web page, upload a picture of you cabinets and then "paint"them in their colors?  I know on some sites you can and that might be very helpful!  

To me the key would be coordinating with tones in the fireplace and the rest of the room making the space more cohesive and lighter.  Think about it having the same light values and flowing better. Maybe that would be helpful.  

You might just find a color you love that is repeated somewhere else in the space, but would be pretty on the cabinets even with some variation and in a lighter or darker shade.  I am big on neutral soft and soothing colors, so I have to sit and just look around and think and feel what goes together and flows.  

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Sooner ....I see the photo you posted has a wood ceiling...the walls in my living room are a barn siding...not the smooth look of wood paneling but a slightly rough texture.

I do have photoshop and can add color to my cupboards...I did try that at work today, it did not help me.  I might look to see if the paint store has that app that allows you to add color to a photograph.

I got this off the website.

SW 7015 Repose Gray

Sherwin Williams has a variety of grays to choose from, but the best color gray for kitchen cabinets is definitely SW 7015 Repose Gray. This shade of gray is the perfect mix of light and dark, and it goes well with a variety of different colors. It’s perfect for a modern or contemporary kitchen, and it can really make your cabinets pop.
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I got this in an e-mail from Southern Living about neutral colors and couldn't resist putting it out there for you! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Wood is beautiful.  Paint chips and makes a mess.  Period.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Wood is beautiful.  Paint chips and makes a mess.  Period.

Period?   You have no more authority than anyone else on the subject of design.   

Painted wood is beautiful.  If done properly and is taken care of, it doesn't chip.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   The contractor puts a clear coat finish overtop of the paint and warranties against chipping.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

I agree that white would be too big of a contrast.  I like the idea of pulling out a warm color from the fireplace or backsplash but not gray.  I think it is so overused and boring.  Most builders basic model homes use gray and you don't want your house to look builders basic.

Good luck.  We're doing a mini kitchen redo and I've had a hard time deciding on tile and countertops.  Not to mention the microwave/hood issue.  UGH..