Honored Contributor

Amazing crocheted creations from an amazing kid :)

[ Edited ]

Heart

"I'm an old soul in a young person": Boy, 11, goes viral for his amazing CROCHET talent - as people praise his incredible self-taught skills that he learned at age FIVE by watching videos online

• Jonah Larson began learning to crochet when he was just five-years-old 
  • The 11-year-old boy, from Wisconsin, learned his skills by watching YouTube video tutorials 
  • Now the sixth grade student makes and sells different items including hats, scarves, blankets and toys and sells them 
  • His mother regularly shares photos of his creations to his Instagram page - Jonah's Hands - where he boasts a whopping 132,000 followers 
  • Jonah says crocheting is a 'calm' activity that helps him to relax

An 11-year-old boy who crochets different items and sells them has gone viral for his impeccable, creative skills. 

Jonah Larson, from Wisconsin, learned how to crochet - a method of using yarn and a special needle with a hook to create clothing and other items - at the young age of five when he began watching video tutorials on YouTube.

Now the sixth grade student, who shares photos of his work on his Instagram page, crochets for anywhere between two to five hours. 

Talent! 11-year-old Jonah Larson (pictured), who lived in Ethiopia before being adopted by parents Jennifer and Christopher, learned to crochet by watching video tutorials on YouTube

Wow! The self-taught crocheter, who began learning when he was five-years-old, now spends up to five hours every day making pieces, before his mom shares photos of them online

Talents: The young crochet fan shows off his skills in a series of videos, revealing what he's making at the time, and how he is making it

The 11-year-old, who originally lived in Ethiopia before being adopted by his parents Jennifer and husband Christopher at six-months-old, started crocheting when he was just five-years-old. 

He learned his skills from watching videos on YouTube, and now spends most of his days practicing the skill as he creates different pieces and sells them to happy customers. 

Jonah then shares photographs of some of his creations on his Instagram page, which is run by his mother, Jennifer Larson. 

Brilliant: Since January this year, Jonah's following on Instagram has increased significantly, as he now has a whopping 132,000 followers on the online platform

Back in January, a local newspaper - the La Crosse Tribune - published a story about Jonah's crochet skills, and his following jumped up when his page went viral.

Jonah now has a whopping 132,000 followers on the social media platform. 

Speaking to the publication, the 11-year-old explained that he began crocheting when he found a hook in a craft supply box. He then followed a video online, and completed a dishcloth within just one hour. 

Jonah, who attends Lincoln Middle School, now uses the hobby to unwind after a hard day's work. 

Jonah said: 'It was very relaxing after a hard day at school.'

The 11-year-old has even won awards for his crocheted creations. He entered some of his pieces into a local competition when he was in kindergarten, and ended up winning. 

Jonah, who described the win as 'awesome', took home seven ribbons the following year. He now has approximately 70 ribbons in total. 

Jonah said he is proud of everything he makes. He told NPR: 'When I see my crochet work when it's done, it blows my mind to know that I, an 11-year-old with a tiny hook and a ball of yarn, made this amazing afghan, scarf, cowl, you name it.' 

He also created a YouTube channel where he shares different style videos including clips that show him un-boxing packages of yarn he receives, as well as demonstrating how to make different items by crocheting. 

Jonah's mother Jennifer said her son regularly receives deliveries of yarn from people all around the world. 

She said: 'In the basement we have 20 totes (full). He gets boxes of yarn from all over - England, Canada. I think they’re worried the art of crocheting is going to end, and they’re just excited a young person will carry it on.'

Skilled: Jonah's crochet creations include tabletop centerpieces, blankets, hats, scarves, sweaters and children's toys

Skilled: Jonah's crochet creations include tabletop centerpieces, blankets, hats, scarves, sweaters and children's toys

Incredible: Jonah, who attends Lincoln Middle School in Wisconsin, uses the hobby to unwind after a hard day's work at school as he says he finds it 'relaxing'

Masterpiece: Jonah's mother Jennifer said the 11-year-old regularly receives yarn deliveries from people in different countries around the world

She added that she was initially slightly concerned that her son might be bullied for his choice of hobby, however, she revealed that his peers have been nothing but supportive of Johah. 

Some have even asked him for crocheting lessons.  

The mother-of-three said neither Jonah's teenage brother or younger sister have proven passionate about crocheting. 

Gorgeous: Since his Instagram page went viral back in January, Jonah has been inundated with approximately 4,000 different orders for crocheted pieces

And although crocheting might not be the usual hobby for an 11-year-old, Jennifer said Jonah is more interested in seeing what he can create with yarn, rather than playing video games.

Jonah told the publication that, although he wants to be a surgeon or an orthodontist when he grows up, he will still continue to crochet.

He said: 'I'm going to be an old man crocheting. I’m an old soul in a young person.' 

Jonah's creations include blankets, tabletop pieces, hats, scarves, sweaters, cowls and children's toys. 

Since his Instagram page went viral earlier this year, Jonah has received many orders. 

According to Metro, the 11-year-old has recently received approximately 4,000 orders from different people eager to get their hands on one of his pieces. 

So inundated with orders, the 11-year-old reportedly even had to turn down an invitation to appear on the Ellen DeGeneres show. 

Despite the overwhelming recognition, Jonah remains humble, and follows his parents' rule that family and school always come first.  

Support: Jonah's mother said she was initially slightly concerned that her son might be bullied for his passion for crocheting, however, she said his peers are kind and supportive

Passion: Although he sells his works of art, Jonah also likes to use his skills to give back and help others

Generous: He donated a total of $400 - earned from selling his creations - to an organization in Ethiopia, where he hopes he will be able to visit in the future

Passion: Although crocheting is Jonah's passion, he hopes to become a surgeon or an orthodontist when he grows up, keeping crocheting as a hobby, too

And Jonah isn't all business. He also loves to use his special talents to give back and to help others. 

He donated a generous $400 to an organization in Ethiopia, where he hopes to visit one day.

Jonah uploaded a video to his YouTube channel in February, where he told his followers and fans how they can best support him and his 'endeavors'.

Special: Jonah describes himself as a an 'old soul in a young person', and says he will be crocheting when he grows older

He explained that those wishing to support him can help donate to Roots Ethiopia - a charity that aims to 'improve schools, enable livelihoods, educate children and serve special needs students' in the country - via a GoFundMe page he set up.

Jonah said: 'The orphanage where I was born is now gone, so orphan care is now needed more than ever. 

'Additional funds are going [toward] helping me go back to Ethiopia and meet all the people who raised me in my early years, and see how the funds benefit.' 

The 11-year-old has already reached over $12,000, and his final goal is to raise $15,000.  

Jonah pays for all of the yarn and different supplies he uses to make his pieces by himself. 

Jennifer explained: 'Jonah pays for his supplies, careful to watch for sales and coupons and keeps the proceeds from his sales, saving for "college, retirement and anything I want to buy otherwise".

After being approached by Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based publishers KWiL Publishing, Jonah signed a book deal, and is now in the process of writing a book about his journey with crocheting. 

The book, Hello, Crochet Friends! Making Art, Being Mindful, Giving Back: Do What Makes You Happy, is due to be released this summer on Tuesday, July 23.

Jonah said that he doesn't crochet 'for the fame or the TV shows'. 

'I do it because it is a very calming activity that helps me relax. It also unites everyone around the world,' he added. 

~

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazing crocheted creations from an amazing kid :)

Those are gorgeous! Good for him!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Such beautiful work from such a young person.  Good for him!

Esteemed Contributor

Just amazing!  My first thought was that I have to share this with my DIL who loves to crochet. But when I went to Jonah’s Instagram page I saw that she is already following him. Thanks so much for sharing this amazingly talented boy with us @feline groovy   

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thank you for this story!

Honored Contributor

I have tried to crochet, but I am all thumbs.  This young man is very talented.  I love his beautiful crocheted pieces.

And he is adorable.  What beautiful kind eyes he has.

beautiful story too.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy  What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it!

Esteemed Contributor

Talented kid; looks like such a nice boy too!  It's nice to read a story like this.

Esteemed Contributor

This kid is amazing!  I tried and tried to learn crochet and knit and I just couldn’t get it. I could look at these pictures all day. I mean those blankets and the place mats the bowl, hats etc. Wow!  Thank you so much for sharing this. 

Honored Contributor

Wonderful story, amazing kid! Thanks for posting,

https://cdn1.vectorstock.com/i/thumb-large/63/50/emoticon-showing-thumb-up-vector-10176350.jpg