Respected Contributor

Apparently Aluminum house wiring was used in the early to mid eighties due to the cost of copper. Since aluminum wiring can be a fire hazzard some insurance companies will not insure the house.

Has anyone had any experience rewiring your home to replace aluminum wiring?

Esteemed Contributor

My previous house was built in 1970. Aluminum wiring, No problem ever with fire hazard. or insurance. I don't know that the subject of the wiring ever came up with homeowner's insurance.. Not a problem with the buyer when I sold, either. Much ado about nothing.

Trusted Contributor

I googled this and the fire hazard is with the connections.  Apparently if you replace them with copper, you won't have a problem.  Of course, I don't know how accurate this is.

Honored Contributor

One of our relatives just bought a house. When the Dad came over to check it out (he is an electrician) he had a fit as it had aluminum wiring. He said they shouldn’t have bought it.  

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

One of our relatives just bought a house. When the Dad came over to check it out (he is an electrician) he had a fit as it had aluminum wiring. He said they shouldn’t have bought it.  

Thank you for all your replies.

We are not happy that this was not disclosed by the seller and not reported by the inspector. I guess let the buyer beware.

If we had known about the older wiring, we would have made a different decision about the purchase. Or reduced the price offer to cover rewiring. We will have a large electrical contractor come out soon to give opinion.