Esteemed Contributor

Re: Almost ready to pick a builder

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@godi wrote:

You are in between a rock and a hard place here. Go with the builder you want, if you go with your sisters and it is not a good experience it will come between you. If you go with your choice she will feel slighted and it might come between you. When you decide take her to lunch and explain you don't want hard feelings but this is a wonderful time in your life and you want her to share in your happiness. Good luck. Building a new home is wonderful, we moved into ours last May.  A bit of advice if you have a basement get a lot of plugs.  Check everyday what is done, we caught so many things they had to fix. Better to catch it while being built then after. Enjoy your experience and your new home. 

Some very good points here. My sister has said its their house and they need to pick the one their comfortable with. My dad can be very stubborn so she may be relieved she doesn't have to worry about getting into any arguments if we pick the other one.  It was a long road getting the blue prints done and my dad getting it the way he wanted. She saved them a couple grand by being able to do them on her own time and not having to have paid the builder to do it.

Well, herein lies your answer.  Should your parents choose the "other" contractor, perhaps they should pay your sister for the blueprints she created.  

@magicmoodz@ccassaday, I totally agree with @magicmoodz.  My BIL did the plans for our home and we paid him for the job.  Easier than having to keep score within the family.  No hard feelings this way.  I would pay her whether you choose her builder or not.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@godi wrote:

You are in between a rock and a hard place here. Go with the builder you want, if you go with your sisters and it is not a good experience it will come between you. If you go with your choice she will feel slighted and it might come between you. When you decide take her to lunch and explain you don't want hard feelings but this is a wonderful time in your life and you want her to share in your happiness. Good luck. Building a new home is wonderful, we moved into ours last May.  A bit of advice if you have a basement get a lot of plugs.  Check everyday what is done, we caught so many things they had to fix. Better to catch it while being built then after. Enjoy your experience and your new home. 

Some very good points here. My sister has said its their house and they need to pick the one their comfortable with. My dad can be very stubborn so she may be relieved she doesn't have to worry about getting into any arguments if we pick the other one.  It was a long road getting the blue prints done and my dad getting it the way he wanted. She saved them a couple grand by being able to do them on her own time and not having to have paid the builder to do it.

Well, herein lies your answer.  Should your parents choose the "other" contractor, perhaps they should pay your sister for the blueprints she created.  

@magicmoodz@ccassaday, I totally agree with @magicmoodz.  My BIL did the plans for our home and we paid him for the job.  Easier than having to keep score within the family.  No hard feelings this way.  I would pay her whether you choose her builder or not.  LM

I am sure they will do something nice for her. Her husband will also be our realtor when we sell our current house. So we owe them a big thank you. My mom was mentioning she will feel a lot more comfy with my sister helping them through the process. She told her she will go to all the design leggings with her.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday, good luck with your new home.  Very exciting to have everything shiny and new!!!  LM