Respected Contributor

Re: Air Freshener Plug in suggestions

@wagirl   I'm so sorry that your cat became ill and your veterinary bill was so high but thank goodness that you were able to determine what was causing the illness and she recovered without any lingering side effects.   

Thank you so much for reminding everyone about using the plug-ins around animals.  Birds, in particular, are very susceptible to illness and death when these are used in or around an area where they live.  They are also toxic to all small rodents such as hamsters and guinea pigs.  The scents from these caused severe respiratory problems in those types of mammals.  

I would not use these or any types of scented candles around any pets.  I actually don't believe that they are that good for humans either.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes   I use a diffuser with essential oils.  You can use in any room just unplug.  I have a water method diffuser and one where you burn the oils with tea light candles.  This way you are not breathing in chemicals

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I have found that Glade has a lot better throw than Airwick, I also love the bath and body plug ins.  My daughter gets me those on gifting occasions.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl ----thanks for the kind words---yes it was very traumatic for me and my furry  girl---I learned the hard way but fortunately figured it out ---and I mention the cost because it is totally preventable and money speaks volumes ---I am not a scented candle lover or anything scented for that matter either----

Honored Contributor

Just be careful as plug ins are noted for causing fires.  I stopped using them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Just remember not to put them too close to where your pets, especially cats, live---those type of scents are very toxic to animals--I spent a full week running my cat to the vet as she got so sick from breathing that in ---and spent close to $1000 because we didn't know what was making her sick---took those plug- ins out and within a day or 2 she was back to herself----

@wagirl   What an awful experience for you to go through! 

My daughter recently got married. Before, she was an essential oil user, especially for health things. (Peppermint for headaches, etc.)  When she married, her new husband has two adorable cats but she’s had to give up all her oils she loved. It’s so good that they are aware but many may not be. 

Honored Contributor

@Teddie --It  was an awful thing--poor cat had to get IV fluids a few days that week and endure blood work and shots, poking and prodding and just plain feel awful---but really a miraculous recovery once I figured out the cause. I never heard of that problem before---

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Teddie --It  was an awful thing--poor cat had to get IV fluids a few days that week and endure blood work and shots, poking and prodding and just plain feel awful---but really a miraculous recovery once I figured out the cause. I never heard of that problem before---

@wagirl  Your poor kitty! They don’t understand what’s going on. So hard to go through all that. 😕