Honored Contributor

Air Conditioning comfort zone

We just put in a heat pump, so are looking forward to a cooler less sweaty summer in our home.  

Can I ask what temp you like for comfort  cooling when using your hear pump/ air conditioner.  We have ours set right now at 72 which feel good..Just curious what you find  a comfortable temp  in the hot  summer months....or year round depending on where you live....  in your home.

Thankyou!

Honored Contributor

Re: Air Conditioning comfort zone

I'm rather cold natured, so I currently have mine set at 75 (72 at night).  At 74, if I have short sleeves on and am not really active I'll feel the need to put a long-sleeve shirt on top.  In winter, I think I keep it at 72 and turn it down to 68 at night.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  Do you live in a warm area year round?  We live  in the Seattle area so pretty much it will just be running on the hot weeks we get about 4 months out of the year.

Honored Contributor

In the summer, we have our air conditioner on 75 just about all the time. Rarely, very rarely, we’ll turn it on 74, but that’s really, really, rare. 

We have two systems. One for upstairs and one for downstIrs. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Summer and winter between 75 and 78 depending on humidity.

Esteemed Contributor

Heat in winter: 70 daytime - 64 night

Airco in summer: 68 day & night

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Icegoddess  Do you live in a warm area year round?  We live  in the Seattle area so pretty much it will just be running on the hot weeks we get about 4 months out of the year.

@SeaMaiden, no, I am in N AL, so long, hot summers, but still have several months of winter.  We have a heat pump, and the biggest problem is they don't handle temperature extremes well either direction.  The other issue in winter is, the air coming out of the register is not warm.  I would prefer gas, but it's not available here.  Just up the street, but not here, and none of the neighbors are interested in ponying up to run the line, although I doubt we would use it for heat at least for quite some time since our units are fairly new.  But, I would love to have a gas stove and a generator.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I only have A/C in my bedroom as it gets the afternoon sun. I set it for 68 at night.  My neighborhood has a lot of trees and I don't really need it downstairs.

Honored Contributor

I have pretty bad osteoarthritis.  If I set the air conditioner too low I ache pretty bad.

I mainly care about getting the humidity out of my house.  High humidity drives me crazy!  I'd rather be cold than to be in a room where the humidity is high.

I'd say I set the thermostat around 74-75.  I've called the company I deal with to come out and check out the unity (I get it done 2 times a year anyway) and they keep telling me I don't set the thermostat low enough.

I have 2 dehumidifiers in my house running in the summer.

Everyone's body is different.  It's a matter of what you and your husband can agree to.

My daughter is always cold 24/7.  Her husband is always hot.  They go around and around about the thermostat.  

Respected Contributor

Keep mine set to 76 all year. I’m in Texas so it’s difficult at times but I detest high electric bills and since it’s just me I need to stick to my budget. In summer I use ceiling fans and in winter wood burning fireplace.