Honored Contributor

Re: Air Conditioning comfort zone

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

88°

@Desertdi   You keep your air conditioning at 88 degrees?  That is the temp my upstairs reaches during a hot spell before we got air conditioning!  That's why I spend $11,000😄

@SeaMaiden   I'm in Phoenix.....and 88 seems "cool" when it's 115 outside.  Not to mention that the power rates are exorbitant here!   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

88°

@Desertdi   You keep your air conditioning at 88 degrees?  That is the temp my upstairs reaches during a hot spell before we got air conditioning!  That's why I spend $11,000😄

@SeaMaiden   I'm in Phoenix.....and 88 seems "cool" when it's 115 outside.  Not to mention that the power rates are exorbitant here!   di

@Desertdi   Oh, I see.  But that is still pretty hot. I guess I would not last in Phoenix for very long with temps like that.  I one was in Death Valley and it was 114 degrees and I really thought I would die.

Honored Contributor

73 is where we keep the air conditioner set. When it's humid and 85 outside, that is a comfortable indoor temp.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am in SC and we have long hot, humid summers. I keep my A/C set at 76 during the day. However, I have 12' or 16' ceilings (depending on the room) in my home so it doesn't feel terribly warm to me. I also have ceiling fans running all the time. At night it goes down to 73.

Honored Contributor

If I set my AC to 72 in the summer it would run 24 hours a day and never shut off and I’d have $1000 plus electric bill. LOL. I set it to 78 or so, sometimes turning it down a little bit to 76 at night. When it’s 110 outside, you can’t get it to cool under 78 running nonstop.
Respected Contributor

It is warm (hot!) where I live from June to October.  I have had our ac on already this year as it has gotten warmer.  We have two zones - upstairs we have it set at 74 and downstairs we we sleep is set at 73.  I do like to be cool!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

72 degrees during the day and 74 degrees at night. Almost never change this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

But it doesn't matter what posters do. Set yours to the temp that is comfortable for you.

Valued Contributor

I live in northern Maryland which has cold dry winters and warm to hot humid summers.  I keep my heat pump on 71 for winter heating and around 75 for summer cooling.  I might lower it to 74 in summer for a short time if I am trying to eradicate some extra humidity.  I am all electric.  My outside heat pump has an inside air handler component which also doubles as an emergency heat source if needed.  Overall here in northern Maryland, my heating bills are much higher than my summer AC bills by far.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
If I set my AC to 72 in the summer it would run 24 hours a day and never shut off and I’d have $1000 plus electric bill. LOL. I set it to 78 or so, sometimes turning it down a little bit to 76 at night. When it’s 110 outside, you can’t get it to cool under 78 running nonstop.

@bikerbabe  I see your point!