Honored Contributor

Re: After the initial pain....you do feel better...

It does feel good when you get rid of all the old junk and unwanted stuff that weighs us down and really just complicates our lives.  For me, it happened when we downsized from a 9 room house with an attic and a basement to a 2 bedroom condo.  I had my stuff, my mom's stuff, my aunt's stuff and so much of it had memories and sentimental value that I couldn't get rid of it.  Until I had too!  You are so right, people do indeed tell you "oh, you can't get rid of that!"   "you are lucky to have such lovely china"   "that china cabinet is a real heirloom" but when offer it to them......they won't touch it with a ten foot pole.  You can't give stuff away and charities in this area  are very particular about what they will take.  We tossed a lot of stuff out but I knew I could not let myself take things with me in the hope that I'd find someone to take them.  Also, I wanted a fresh start.  I wanted new furniture, I wanted all new in my kitchen, I wanted to decorate.  I deserved that.   

Honored Contributor

I don't have too much trouble moving out stuff when I get organizing.  Keep up the good work.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congratulations @Nataliesgramma , it is a good feeling isn’t It?  I did a major purge this year.  Now everything has a home and it is much easier to manage.

I bought two new living room chairs and sold three.  I have only one pile of ‘give’ items to family that will be picked up next week.

It’s freeing!  LM

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Congrats @Nataliesgramma ! It's a great feeling isn't it.

Its very interesting I "wanted" to donate a few things to our Goodwill this week -- there was a sign they were not accepting donations so I headed over to Hospice Thrift store.  They weren't accepting either.

Guess these places are jammed with our "treasures" since all of us have been "Spring Cleaning".  

🌷🌷

Wow.  I've never had Goodwill decline donations.  We have one large Goodwill store by us and easily 5-6 small dropoff locations in our immediate area.  I'm taking a small shopping bag today when we go to consignment.  It's just a dropoff trailer in the recycling center.  I'll be interested to see if they're accepting donations.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@dex wrote:

Spm of our donation places are full and not accepting...too many must be clearing out and downsizing their homes.

@dex I think decluttering has become a trending thing now.

@Allegheny @Yes it is a trend with books and shows people get motivated.

Honored Contributor

Once I make the decision to get rid of or donate something I don't regret it.

I got rid of a lot of small kitchen appliances and have never once said I wish I still had it.

Honored Contributor

I've never felt any kind of pain getting rid of things I don't need/want. I live in a very rural, needy community and love helping others that aren't as fortunate. We drop off our give-aways at a local resale shop and the gals the run it love when we donate. They say that we always have good stuff. Lol. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Perhaps it's our area because the demographics are "elderly" (sorry not to offend anyone) but just this past month we had 9 people pass in our community & that means kids clean out houses donate everything to put house for sale! 

The goodwill truck had a sign  and tape across area you would put your donations.  Even our consignment furniture store is not accepting and she usually is looking for good furniture & home things.  And I can see these stores are "overloaded" with stuff😮

Respected Contributor

Around once every 3 months we get a bag on the front door giving us a date when they are coming around the neighborhood. I start my pile weeks before knowing soon the bright pink bag is coming. It's the Disable Vets Charity and the other week Bright yellow bag for Children's Hospital (Cancer ward) came around. We usually have more than 1 bag. DD lives in a townhouse they don't have that so I tell her one of the charities are coming in 2 weeks if you have anything bring it over & she sure does. Also where she lives they don't recycle & she brings that over here too. We just try to give to both charities, DD always has something to donate I just did an office purge so cookbooks are waiting.