Respected Contributor

Re: After the initial pain....you do feel better...

@dex wrote:

Spm of our donation places are full and not accepting...too many must be clearing out and downsizing their homes.

@dex I think decluttering has become a trending thing now.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma   SPOT ON comments!  Thanks for posting this.  I am going to print this out and pin it up in my closet!  

I just did the same thing with a bag of clothes--about three NEW and NOT CHEAP ones!  

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

Five years ago when we got our FL condo, I too loaded up our van and took many trips to local Goodwill with all the things in the furnished condo that I knew immediately would not work for us.  All the linens and spreads went to animal shelters for post surgery recovery use.

However, there were some things I have hung on to.  Yesterday I finally took the floor length sheer curtains with the gorgeous cut-out lace intricate design to Goodwill....I even left the expensive bronze curtain rings on them!

I feel better that they are gone and that someone will have a beautiful room or two with the sheers !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

The saying Just Do It fits. 

Respected Contributor

Cracked open box with my wedding stuff and graduation cards. Junior High yearbooks, poetry book. Stuff that means nothing to anyone else. I should bundle it up and trash it but the box is still hovering near my chair.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s the best thing I did purging all the stuff I didn’t use. And your right, about the room to see things in cupboards now. 

Honored Contributor

The easiest items for me to donate are clothes, I do not have a problem with that.  However, I do have antiques I inherited from my mother which I am not just going to donate .  I will get an appraiser in and see what happens.  I know of course I will never get as much for the pieces as they are worth but I am OK with that.  

I have found out whatever I donate I don't even think about or remember after awhile which just goes to show I needed to let go.

Honored Contributor

If I have things I no longer want or use, but I’m not quite sure about, I put them aside.  Out of sight somewhere, for a period of time.  If, after a while, I don’t think about them or truly don’t need them, out they go.  If they’re on my mind or I find I do use them, they stay.  In the past I have donated some things and then found later that I regretted doing that.  Not usually the case, but I hate having to buy something back that I gave away! 😠🤗

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma  Congratulations to you for all your hard work.   I love the free feeling after cleaning out--it is like a burden off my shoulder.  Then once it is done within a couple weeks I am going through again looking for more to streamline...  I donate all my clothing, shoes, cooking vessels, etc. to Vietnam Veterans; they don't take furniture so those pieces go to the local Blind Shop.

Honored Contributor

Congrats @Nataliesgramma ! It's a great feeling isn't it.

Its very interesting I "wanted" to donate a few things to our Goodwill this week -- there was a sign they were not accepting donations so I headed over to Hospice Thrift store.  They weren't accepting either.

Guess these places are jammed with our "treasures" since all of us have been "Spring Cleaning".  

🌷🌷