Esteemed Contributor

After the initial pain....you do feel better...

We loaded up the Traverse 2 times with donations last week. I got rid of old Tupperware, never used Corning ware, serving dishes, old Christmas and Easter decorations and clothes and purses from my working days.

I was hard to get rid of clothes that I hardly wore, decorations that I had since we first got married and from my youth. I kept one or two favorites and hurried up and packed the rest for Charity because I really felt guilty.... but no one wanted any of it.

Now I look in my Kitchen cabinets and I don't have to shift things to get what I want to use and I don't feel bad about the old stuff handed down that no one wants and I never use.... that got donated.

I find it funny NOW that people who would tell me "You can't get rid of that..... laying on a gulit trip....but yet...THEY didn't want it.....LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: After the initial pain....you do feel better...

It does feel good to finally let go of stuff that has been occupying space for years Woman LOL I donated so many bags of clothing from my working days but found myself wanting to keep items even though I did not wear them (mostly because I knew how much I paid for the items).

I also donated bags to shelters but found that they don't have the storage space unlike the Goodwill. My next project will be to get rid of dishes and pots and pans I don't use anymore.

Honored Contributor

I never even "miss" the stuff.   In fact.....when I'm contemplating what to donate, I think that charity recipients wouldn't want it, either.......so it goes in the trash.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I just love to purchase vintage Corning Ware and I know others do too.  My daughter loves vintage Christmas items.  I bet most of your items will be purchased by others like me and they will be very happy with them.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only time I ever felt bad about donating things is when I accidentally gave the bag to be tailored to Goodwill, otherwise I am not attached to material things.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I always feel good when I donate items.  Its like a freeing feeling I can't describe.  With 4 kids, I'm constantly putting clothes and other items they don't use in bags and donating them.  There are people who may suggest having a garage sale but I feel that is too much work, I'd rather have an needy organization us them.

Sometimes DH will question why I'm getting rid of something but if I haven't used it in over a year - I don't need it.  

Honored Contributor

Once I decide to donate any item, I have no regrets at all.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I always feel good when I donate items.  Its like a freeing feeling I can't describe.  With 4 kids, I'm constantly putting clothes and other items they don't use in bags and donating them.  There are people who may suggest having a garage sale but I feel that is too much work, I'd rather have an needy organization us them.

Sometimes DH will question why I'm getting rid of something but if I haven't used it in over a year - I don't need it.  

@mimomof4 I'm with you...  garage sales are not my thing at all.  I'd rather donate.  I have several charities,  and there is someone in our building who works several jobs and lives with many family members.  He is always happy and appreciative when I give him some items.

Honored Contributor

I have very few things that I have an emotional attachment to.

I have never been of the mindset to keep something because it held meaning for someone else. 

It feels good to live in an orderly home.  I love to shop and have beautiful things.  But if all those things caused me stress because I didn't have room to store them or needed to buy containers and shelving to store them, it would drive me crazy. 

Honored Contributor

Spm of our donation places are full and not accepting...too many must be clearing out and downsizing their homes.