Honored Contributor

Re: Advice, please, on slipcovers for this chair.

@ahoymate 

I have a store nearby, also, but I'm wondering how it works - how will they know the dimensions of my chair? Do I bring them the old covers?

~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

@house_cat your chair looks similar to the one I have.  I found a great deal on a chair at a garage sale - paid $25.  I didn't realize when I bought it that it is a Mitchell Gold for Pottery Barn chair.  When I went searching for a new slip cover 4 years ago, Pottery Barn had some wonderful ones.  I think the cover was a few hundred dollars, but I could not bring myself to spend that because in addition to the kids loving the chair, the dog is regularly on it so it just wasn't practical at the time.  I can tell you the original PB cover that came with the chair has held up well.  A bonus for me - I can take it off wash and dry it and put it back on.  I have considered sewing one, but by the time I added up the material cost, it was just shy of what I would have spent purchasing one.  Please share if you find a good source for one.  It's still on my list to get a new one! 

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   Pottery Barn:  PB Comfort Roll Arm Furniture Slipcovers.  You can chose your fabric.  A slipcover in White twill runs about 630.00.  They have a 25% discount soecial which would bring it to $ 472.50.

This is the picture of the chair it will fit.  The chair comes in a 39' width instead of a 43" width as well.pb-comfort-roll-arm-slipcovered-armchair-o.jpg

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@ahoymate 

I have a store nearby, also, but I'm wondering how it works - how will they know the dimensions of my chair? Do I bring them the old covers?

Yes, bring them your old one so that they can take measurements from it and make an identical one to fit your chair. @house_cat 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Measure & take  pictures of the chair. Or, bring the chair into the store for them to measure. Call or better yet go the store near you and speak with them about what you are wanting. They're friendly & have good information.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  Nice of you to try give him "the bone"! Sorry it didn't work. Next time go together and let him select the comfortable one; you select the fabric and quality which will wear a long time.

ETA: Hope it wasn't a FlexSteel. I'm having two new loveseats delivered tomorrow!! Have decided to do away with a sofa and loveseat. (Habitat for Humanity Restore picked mine up today.)  Trying to simplify my life. Fell in love with the rolled arms and a herringbone fabric, which I'm certain will wear well. (Thought the fabric in your picture looked familiar to some I viewed when ordering mine over six weeks ago.)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is your favorite chair and well used, get the slip covers done in a durable yet comfortable fabric you love, and get the job done professionally.  It will be worth the time, effort, expense and it will be done to suit your taste.  There, done!

Honored Contributor

@Somertime 

That chair is similar to mine, but not exact. I don't mind investing the money, but I'm afraid the slipcovers wouldn't fit.

@ahoymate 

@SilleeMee 

I have a Calico Corners just a short drive from here.  I think I'll strip my chair naked 😱 and take the slipcover down there.  I have another chair that I bought at the same time. I'll post a pic if I can find one. It doesn't get as much use, but it's only a matter of time before it will need a cover, too, so I might as well find out how this works.

big livingroom chair.jpg

I'm afraid to find out what covers will cost for this one.

@BirkiLady 

No, the sofa he picked out was not a FlexSteel.... I'm pretty sure the brand was Piece O'Junk, lol.  He liked it because it's an 'L' shape with the ottoman on one end. He's disabled, so he sits there a lot and it shows.  I understand his need for comfort, but it pains me to buy furniture that will wind up in a landfill after five years.  It's so wasteful.

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@house_cat   Calico Corners is great!  You can make arrangements for a home visit but I would suggest you visit the store because you need to chose your fabric and depending on the fabric selected will affect the cost of the slip covers.  Do not let them use your existing covers as a pattern which I am sure they will not do.  They will either come and take measurements or they will take the chair.

They are very easy to work with and will advise you as to the durability of the fabric you chose for the slipcovers.

Respected Contributor

house_cat, most chairs are a standard size in the industry, so I've been lead to believe. Calico Corners will most likely know the size of your chair by the picture you bring in. As to cost, CC, Calico Corners, is not cheap. But, they do excellent work & have lovely fabrics & creative, fun ideas for decorating. Enjoy!