Honored Contributor

Advice, please, on slipcovers for this chair.

chair.jpg

The chair in this photo is now 4 years old and the slipcover is starting to fray.  I have no clue where to start looking for new slipcovers.  Is there a place I can buy them according to the style of the chair, rather than have them custom made?  These have zippers. I don't want the stretchy, generic type. If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Advice, please, on slipcovers for this chair.

[ Edited ]

Possibly where you purchased the chair has replacement covers.  I think you will need to have custom slipcovers made.  The "ready" made ones will not give you the same look.  You can look at Surefit or Pottery Barn or Ikea or even Wayfair but they are pretty generic looking.

Honored Contributor

If it's a well loved chair and something you look at often, I'd have it done professionally.  There are slightly textured fabrics that hold up like iron.  You could even get it traditionally covered.

Just a thought, you can find all kinds of workers on Angie's List.  All of these people have references and reviews.

Valued Contributor

That strawberry shortcake sure looks good!

Honored Contributor

Have you checked on a price to have the fabric replaced?

A professional will restuff as needed & your chair will be like new

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  With zippers, it would probably be easy to remove the current covers and have someone use them as a pattern for new slipcovers made from a durable fabric which should last much longer than four years. Be sure to select a washable material if going to slipcovers again.

I would think the cost would be worth it for a chair you really enjoy. While the chair is "naked," your could have them tighten the springs and add some filling for comfort & support. 

ETA: It looks like your sofa might be a FlexSteel. It so, perhaps you could order a fabric from their line in the same color scheme? Try talking with your dealer or local store manager if I'm guessing correctly. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Calico Corners. They do beautiful work & have lovely fabric to choose from. I had my slip covers made, for a chair that is similar to your picture, by them. They do have sales a couple times a year. I think it has ended or about to. Contact their website.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate 

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check them out.

It is very much a beloved chair - it's my crochet/reading chair and it's prematurely worn out because I sit with my legs and feet up - drives DH crazy but I'm short and that's my comfortable way to sit - it puts a lot of strain on the seat cushion.  Also, I wash the slipcovers every couple of months.  I think that wears them out.  Other than that, the structure of the chair and the stuffing is still sound.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@KKWA 

Yes! The cake was good! If I remember correctly I took that photo on my first day of summer break, best day of the year!

@BirkiLady 

We replaced the sofa last year and I absolutely abhor the new one. I let DH choose it, because he's the sofa guy around here and I thought I'd throw him a bone and let him have his way. What a mistake.  Luckily, it was a cheap one and it's already falling apart. I can't wait to get rid of it.

@ahoymate 

Did you have Calico corners come to your home?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

No, I didn't have Calico Corners come to my home. I live nearby the store.